DISPUTED QUESTION: DIGGING OR DO NOT DIGGING A GARDEN?
Do you need to dig beds in the fall?
Some are sure that plowing is necessary, while others advocate the natural loosening of soil by plant roots. We asked about the features of preparing the garden for the winter, the deputy director for research at the Institute for Vegetable and Melon Growing, Dr. of Agricultural Sciences Alexander KUTSA.
Main - for autumn digging
Presowing - for spring digging
Sowing - during sowing and planting
Top dressing - during the growth period
Alexander Vladimirovich, do most pathogens really die during the autumn plowing of the garden?
- Adherents of traditional methods of gardening treatment name the main advantages as the fact that as a result of plowing or digging (when the top layer of soil is below), bacteria that need oxygen die from its lack.
Is it true that it is not worthwhile to process a site with a walk-behind tractor?
- The walk-behind tractor and cutter work on a completely different principle. They do not turn the soil over, but simply loosen the top layer of the earth. This technique is good for preparing the soil for sowing seeds and planting plants, making it loose. In autumn, using a walk-behind tractor, you risk spreading pathogenic bacteria throughout the area.
What are the advantages of the natural farming method, or, as it is now called, No-till ("zero processing")?
- This is a way to grow vegetables without digging the soil. On an industrial scale, it looks like this. They raised the grain field, ground it, chopped the stems and left it right there on the site. In the spring, a special machine makes holes in the ground covered with last year's straw, where new seeds fall.
FACT: TWO THREE ALL PLANNED FOR SEASON FERTILIZERS IT IS DESIRABLE TO APPLY TO A PLOT UNDER AUTUMN SHIPPING.
That is, the sowing process is reduced to a minimum. As part of a small garden, this method has also become popular because it protects the soil from leaching and blowing, and most importantly, it saves effort, time and money. Just imagine: there is no need to dig up anything. Slightly walked along the beds with a plane cutter or a hoe, loosened the ground, sowed seeds - and that’s all, "the mission is completed."
If it is so simpler, why most gardeners can not give up the usual shovel?
- The main problem is that in vegetable gardens with natural farming it is important to create beds that you will never walk on so as not to compress the soil. In addition, with this method it is especially important to observe crop rotation, because it will become the key to plant health. So, it is necessary to form a lot of beds so that all plants have enough space. In addition, in order for the earth to remain loose, the garden will need to be mulched. This is also a big piece of work unusual for our summer residents.
Let's go back to the traditional digging of beds. How to distribute this work in the fall?
- Start by cleaning. Tear up and burn sick plants. Grind the healthy ones (you can mow them with a trimmer) and spray them according to the instructions with any stubble destructor (for example, Ecostern). True, you need to use these drugs at an air temperature of at least + 8 degrees. If it is colder outside, use nitrogen fertilizers instead of destructors (a matchbox of ammonium nitrate per 10 liter of water per 3-4 sq.m of soil). Apply organic and mineral fertilizers (see table).
Then dig or plow the garden to the depth of the arable layer. For chernozems, this depth is up to 25 cm. On other soils, from 8 cm (the darker layer, to the less colored, it is the most fertile). If you want to increase the depth of the arable layer, in the fall, add humus (8-10 kg per 1 sq.m), and when digging, grab 2-3 cm of the non-arable layer.
Recorded by Anna POYARKOVA
Useful tips on a note:
Ash and flour reduced acidity
Last season, I noticed that all my beets grew with reddish tops. I thought it was sick, and a friend agronomist believed that in this way the plants suggested that the soil in the plot was acidic. On his advice, the beds were deoxidized in two stages.
In the fall, she made a digging along a half-liter can of dolomite flour on 1 sq.m.
And in the spring before planting plants in the garden in the same dose dusted the beds with wood ash. As a result, this year vegetables were less sick, and there were not very many pests.
Marina SEVERYAK, Bryansk
Instead of all fertilizers - a simple pumpkin!
To help us make the land fertile ... pumpkins. They grow along the edges of the site. They do not require special care, and in the fall, when we procure the right amount for the winter, we chop the remaining fruits with seeds into pieces and scatter them around the garden. If there is a lot of pumpkin pulp, we spill the beds with diluted urea (matchbox on 10 l of water per 10 sq.m). After 2-3 days after that, we dig the plot so that the pumpkin fertilizer is in the soil. By spring, organics completely decay. So without manure, humus and compost we manage to collect excellent crops.
Galina IVANOVA, Minsk
WORD TO THE SPECIALIST
Indeed, pumpkin fruits are high in nutrients. But pumpkin fertilizer, like compost, cannot completely replace humus. It is advisable to add humus or semi-rotted manure at least once every 3-4 of the year. I do not advise throwing sick pumpkins on the beds. And it is also undesirable in this way to fertilize the areas where you plan to grow pumpkin (cucumbers, squash) next year.
Svetlana KRIVENKOVA, agronomist
ORGANIC AND MINERAL FERTILIZER APPLICATION NORMS - TABLE
|Fertilizer||Crops under which||Application rate (kg per 1 sq.m)|
|Manure (humus)||Pepper, cucumber, tomato, onion, melon, watermelon, cabbage, potatoes||3-4|
Potassium salt (potassium sulfate)
|Pepper, eggplant, cucumber, tomato, onion, melon, watermelon, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, beets||0,04-0,06
Reference by topic: To what depth is the soil to dig
DIGGING OR DO NOT DIGGING THE GARDEN IN AUTUMN - ALL FOR AND CONS IN ONE VIDEO
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!