Previously, shady places in the garden were often empty: gardeners believed that nothing interesting and beautiful would grow here. But now thanks to intensive work of breeders the situation has changed dramatically, and gardeners are willing to transform even the darkest areas that are not suitable for breeding most flowers.
And the main role in these compositions is invariably assigned to the host (Hosta).
Not without reason in 2009, the German union of flower growers recognized it as the "Plant of the Year".
The host leaves are very diverse, they are blue or dark green, with a white border, crinkled or smooth. Appearing in the spring, they look like painted paper sheets, twisted into tight tubes.
And how pleasant it is to observe their transformation, when these "scrolls" are straightened out, turning into leaves with well-written streaks. Depending on the type and variety, the leaves of the host form lush or elegant "bouquets."
In summer, inflorescences with white, pink or lilac flowers rise above them. Hosts plantain (Hosta plantaginea) Fragrant Bouquet or Royal Standard, they even exude a slight fragrance.
Very popular with gardeners are such varieties as Fire and Ice or Undulata Univittata - in these plants leaves on the edge or in the center are decorated with white patterns, this decor visibly enlivens the dark corners in the garden, starting a game of light and shadow. Of course, like all hosts, they prefer partial shade. But in the shade these perennials feel comfortable. It is best to place plants on the northern side of the house or under bushes and trees planted not too tightly.
For varieties with white-green leaves, this rule applies: the greater the proportion of white on the leaves, the worse the plants tolerate the sun's rays. It's quite easy to grow hosts of plantain plants with completely green leaves: they normally tolerate the sun.
Sort Hosts with mottled and blue leaves in the sun are burned, and in the deep shadow gradually lose their original color and become green. A great advantage of all hosts: they do not require special care and are distinguished by their durability.
Against the background of large hosts, such graceful plants as Aquilegia, Astilba, ferns, bell broadleaf varieties of large-flowered (Campanula latifolia var. macrantha), dicentra splendid (Dicentra spectabilis) or anemone Japanese (Anemone xjaponica) of different varieties. In the foreground in such flower gardens plant shade-loving early blooming plants: omphalodes verna (Omphalodes verna) and medulinica (Pulmonaria). They please the gardeners with flowers already in early May, when the leaves of the host are just beginning to break out from under the ground.
It is not necessary to go to the store for new hosts. They easily multiply by division. To do this, in the early spring, until the leaves have turned around, dig out the rhizome, cut it with a shovel into parts and plant it.
Elegant outfits host - a real delicacy for slugs. Are you afraid of these pests? Then plant the hosts Big Daddy, Blue Angel, Sum and Substance with leathery leaves, which slugs will bypass. But there are no completely inedible varieties for them yet.
Variety host on the photo
- The Sagae variety has bluish leaves with a cream border. Height of plants up to 75, see
- In the representatives of the variety Devon Green on uniformly green leaves, a pattern of veins emerges. Plant height 40 see. In July, there are gently-violet flowers.
- Elegant June is distinguished by blue-yellow, flame-like patterns. Plants up to 25 cm are suitable for pot culture.
- Halcyon with bluish leaves will perfectly fit into the garden in a modern style. The darker the place, the blueer the leathery leaves of this host become. Slugs do not like them.
- At Cherry Berry height 30 cm narrow leaves with color transitions from yellow to green.
- Tire and Ice features beautiful white-green heart-shaped leaves. The plant blooms in July.
Note: Hosts in autumn
With the advent of autumn, the leaves of the host, growing in flower beds and covered with patina tubs, are painted in a rich yellow color. After the first frost, the leaves turn brown and die.
At this time, they can be cut. Tip: planting hosts is desirable in the company with other plants.
So, after pruning the host, if the evergreen medlina grows next door, the flower garden will no longer look empty. And in the spring, until the young shoots of the host have not yet grown, the flowers will please the daffodils. When they start fading, just the hosts will arrive.
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Ramonda from seeds - not easy but possible
- Surfinia (PHOTO) - winter care and storage, planting and care
- Long-flowering plants for a flower garden (photo and description)
- Muraya (photos) growing, planting and care
- Flowers perennials blooming all summer - photo + name + description
- Reproduction of heliotrope (photo)
- Hortensia - varieties, cultivation, care use in garden design
- How to prolong the flowering of petunias?
- How to plant onions correctly - photo and master class
- Verbena sprouts (photo)
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!