Ukrainian Crested - excellent ducks
Cocks have a bright crest on their heads, some birds have colorful feathers. And there are domestic ducks who wear a beautiful tuft, but at the same time are a meat breed - it's Ukrainian crested duck.
Feed for slaughter
True, their meat is fat, but they quickly gain weight.
The secret of maximum weight gain is simple: compound feed, because it has all the vitamins and amino acids. Sometimes I give ducks food waste. Or a grain mixture: I crush barley, wheat, soy, peas, and peluki. Potatoes do not feed - they can burn, better green grass. Only before the egg-laying period I feed with oats - to improve egg production. I add water to the drinkers on a regular basis.
Two-month old Ukrainian crested go to slaughter. Only before this age they quickly gain weight and justify the cost of feed. If you overexpose, then the slaughter has to be done in four months, when the moulting is over. This is not very profitable, because they almost do not gain weight and start to grow fat.
Cold Ukrainian crested are not scary
Trouble with the contents of the crib is not delivered: the drake and two or three ducks hibernate in an unheated poly-carbonate greenhouse on a thick straw litter together with musk ducks. With other feathered inhabitants of the farmstead, and these are turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese - live peacefully. The only disadvantage of Ukrainian crested - very loud, that not every neighbor will like.
In the pond do not need, just dug a trough with water. It is not superfluous to supply containers with sand and ash. And also to cut wings - criminals are excellent flyers ..
For Ukrainian crested - only an incubator!
Chicks must be hatched only in the incubator,
Ukrainian crested eggs lay from February to July in about a day. He keeps eggs of medium size with a uniform shell, washed and cleaned from dirt, for up to 20 days in the basement in a horizontal position at a temperature of + 8 ... +12 degrees, and a humidity of 75-85%. Turn them at least once every two days so that the embryo does not stick to the shell.
The eggs laid in the incubator at the end of the 28-day incubation period opens for cooling and sprinkles in water - to create the optimum moisture. For three or four days before breeding, it stops turning them.
We are gaining strength
Konstantin places the hatched chicks in home-made boxes made of plywood 0,5 × 0,7 m, 30 cm high and with doors made of mesh and plexiglass. Heating - infrared lamp. No cereals, cottage cheese, potassium permanganate drink. Dry compound feed for chickens is poured into the feeders, and water from the tap is poured into the drinking bowl - only this way the ducklings become hardened and healthy, the poultry breeder explains. At a weekly age, for five to seven days it gives babies Chiktonik and Herbivit vitamins. On sunny days, takes out in a mesh box on the grass. After two weeks of life, coccidosis is prevented.
FACT: Ukrainian crested ducks are bred as a result of crossbreeding of local ducks, without the use of other breeds. they differ in the color of plumage into several subspecies - gray, white, clay.
See also: What vitamins are needed by chickens
Briefly about the Ukrainian crested ducks
- Weight of Ukrainian crested duck reaches 3 kg, and drake - 3,5 kg.
- The weight of eggs is more than 70 grams. Egg, usually greenish.
- The eggplant of crested ducks is up to 80 eggs per season.
- The color of the plumage may be different, depending on the color of the plumage of local breeds.
- White Ukrainian crested is much better than color and dark, suitable for growing on meat, as their carcass, when it is cleaned of the feather, turns bright, beautiful, with a yellowish tinge.
- The larger the crest on the head, the smaller the duck and the less its egg-laying.
- The gene for crustiness is well manifested in young animals in the case when both the duck and the spleen are tufted. However, without adequate selection, ducks in ducks can greatly decrease after several generations and completely disappear.
- When growing ducks on water bodies, they are fed to 20% of feeds less than stipulated by the norms, because they additionally eat duckweed, lily, buckwheat, frogs, crayfish and various aquatic insects. From the bottom of the duck get food at a depth of up to 1 m.
TIP: In the cold season, freshly cut eggs should be taken for storage and subsequent incubation immediately, so that it does not cool down below 8 degrees. Turned eggs turn upside down, otherwise the chick can choke with liquid from the egg.
Fedor KRASNOPOLSKY. Photo of the author
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!