Exotic strangers rarely take root even in specially equipped greenhouses of botanical gardens. But the gardener can surprise guests with the unusual fruits of pumpkin crops - they adapt pretty well to the conditions of our country. It is amusing to see how, among the usual cucumber or pumpkin leaves, white lace stars of flowers blossom and the serpentine fruits of the trichosant hang. Or the toothy jaws reveal the yellow fruits of momordiki.

Or sprawled spiked "tentacles", similar to starfish, decorative pumpkins.
    Unusual tropical flowers are difficult to grow even in the botanical garden, while amazing pumpkin cultures can easily take root

2. Tatyana STEPANOVA

This year for the first time cultivated a decorative pumpkin: a friend presented a couple of seeds. I liked the result.
    In April, she sowed seeds in a plastic cup. In May the seedlings were planted in the open ground. And since there was not enough free space in the beds, I attached it to the near-trunk circle of the plum with the expectation that the whip would go to the tree. Especially since the side was sunny.
    My Novosel was less capricious than an ordinary pumpkin: on cold nights I did without shelter, the seedlings of which I had to cover. And care for the decorative pumpkin was minimal: spoiled her plants only with water in dry weather.
    Scourge, as planned, let down on the sink. At first they were strewn with yellow flowers, then the ovaries appeared. Particularly attractive were the yellow pumpkins that grew and hanging from the branches, resembling the fruits of a pear in size and shape.
    In the beginning of September she cut them with a pruner. A few pumpkins, "pears" gave, the rest put in a vase for fruit. Is not it an ornament for the kitchen? Everyone who happens to be in the house admires this "pear" still life.

3. Tatiana VOROZHEIKINA, city of Kinel, Samara region.

Last year, my sister gave me Kiwano seeds. In early May, I sowed one seed per sample, and planted a plant in the ground in early June. Care for him was timely watering and cultivation. I also set pegs around the bush and extended the threads from them for the side lashes. Liana grew tall (support was 2 m). Twice a season I fed her mullein, but there were still no flowers. I wanted to pull out a worthless plant already, but somehow I opened the shoots and looked inside the bush, and there ... many, many green "hedgehogs"!
    The harvest was very good. We added fruits to vegetable salads, ate slices. Ripe Kiwano are like fruits. However, in order to wait for ripe fruit, to sow seedlings, I think it is necessary much earlier. This plant comes from Africa, therefore, does not have time to mature properly in our climate. Before the frost, she collected the remains of a kiwano - 1,5 buckets of fruit. The most mature-looking I left to ripen in the room. It treated exotic fruits of acquaintances and friends. And I managed to collect my seeds. This year, I planted them with a margin, because I doubted germination, but they all sprouted!

4. Manana KASTRITSKAYA, Cand. s-hnauk

Why ovaries fall off
    1. Sometimes pumpkins tie a lot of fruit and discard excess.
    2. From lack of nutrition (however, its excess is also harmful, especially nitrogen fertilizers, - the plants "live").
    3. Due to high or, conversely, low air temperature, as well as its sharp differences. It is noticed that even at + 10 hail, the plants stop absorbing nutritious
    elements from the soil and stop growth. What to do? Ventilate the greenhouse in the heat, and in the cold nights, close the doors early. Provide access to insect pollinators. Water in moderation and only with warm water. Also moderately feed, without overdoing with nitrogen fertilizers.

5. Family SHEVCHENKO, Bratsk

Patissons for marinades
    On its site, we grow almost all popular pumpkin cultures: cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, but we especially like the charming "ta-rolochki" -pathosons, which look beautiful in marinades.
    Our favorite varieties are Veliy-13, Sunny Bunny F1 and Flying Saucer. We grow them through seedlings. In mid-April, the seeds are soaked in an aqueous solution of aloe juice (1: 4) for a day. Then we wash them and lay them on peat tablets, which are placed in a closed transparent container with warm water. When the seeds hatch, we transplant them, together with the tablets, into 0,5 L cups with a removable bottom. In May, we transport seedlings to the cottage and put the glasses in the greenhouse.
    Squash, like other pumpkin crops, do not like acidic and cold soils. For good development, they need warm (not lower than 15 °), soil rich in organic matter, and the most comfortable air temperature for them is 20-25 °. Therefore | we plant them in open ground only in late May or early June, when the bird cherry blossoms.
    To provide plants with sufficient heat, we plant them on sunny, warmed beds. | | Lunks do at a distance of 0,5-0,7 m, spill them with a warm pink solution of potassium permanganate and plant; one plant per well. Patissons like feeding with fresh mullein (1: 10) or infusion of weeds diluted in 5 times, potassium fertilizers without chlorine (2-3 spoonfuls per 10-liter bucket of water). Water only with warm water (at least 20 °). We remove the fruit at the age of 5-6 days.
    Family SHEVCHENKO, Bratsk

When I harvest a pumpkin, I cut it with long plates, string it on a strong thread, fold it into a gauze pouch and dry it on the battery in the winter. Dry slices are sweet, you can crunch them, but you can also make compote as from dried fruits. Suffice for two years.

7. Pavel ONYKIN, Moscow Region

Pumpkin Oasis
    I always wanted to grow huge pumpkins, well, or at least large, but on sandy soil I could not do it. That's what I thought up.
    In the spring, I dug up a small plot, dug a wide trench with a depth of 40 on it. At the bottom I laid a thick film in the 2 layer, I jotted down the land brought from the spruce forest. The edges of the film picked up, fixed it in this position. I poured the patch, planted the soaked pumpkin seeds. He covered up with lutrasil, which did not allow the bed to overheat and prevent evaporation. The film retained moisture during watering, and I collected a good harvest. But the film is short-lived, and it is quite troublesome to form such a bed. Therefore, from summer to
    autumn on the free plots, from which I removed the harvest, I began to fold the compost.
    Periodically watered it, loosened it, and covered it with a dark film. By the spring of next year he was half-grown, which is how pumpkins are. I scribbled a little sandy ground on top, planted pumpkins under lutrasil, and they were even bigger than they were in the first year.
    Now I do not put compost in a box, but I place it in row-spacing on vacant beds, from top I throw on it the soil from 2 of neighboring ridges. So, gradually the entire garden area becomes suitable for cultivation of crops, which lacks both moisture and nutrients.