1. I.Ya. KUZMIN, city of Saratov

Previously, planted cucumbers seeds, but all the plants then someone gnawed, and they died (I think ants or lice). Once, having talked on the train with a lady-friend, I complained to her, and she also suggested how to deal with such a disaster.
    Now in the end of April I dig a trench and a half a bayonet spade wide and deep, fill it with foliage and finely chopped maple branches, rammed, put on top of last year's layer of manure, then garden land, and then sawdust mixed with manure. I water the garden with hot water and manganese and cover it with a film.

The next day I plant the seedlings, I powder it with red and black ground pepper and again cover it with a film. And no one tries to attack my cucumbers!

2. Alina Yartseva, Soligorsk

For the second year I grow cucumbers in barrels. The first time the harvest was very pleased. And this year the leaves quickly turned yellow, and there were very few cucumbers. The reason is that the soil in barrels was replaced only by half, or was it the cold summer's blame?

Soil, indeed, needs to be changed periodically. If the volume of the barrel is small (40-50 l), and 3-4 plants were grown in it, then all the soil had to be replaced. If the volume is larger, a partial replacement could be dispensed with. A bad crop could also be associated with bad weather: frequent rains and cold. Cucumbers love high humidity and heat (+ 28 ... + 32 degrees.). Next year, I recommend that the author of the question try growing cucumbers in old buckets without a bottom. Install containers near the south wall of the house (here the plants will be protected from the cold wind, and if it starts raining, it will be easier to cover).

Fill them with half of the manure, top the earth from the garden (or better still - compost) and sow the seeds. In the process of decomposition, manure will release a large amount of carbon dioxide. As a result, additional male flowers will be formed on hybrids and varieties of female blossom type, and female ones will be formed on plants of male type of flowering. This will increase the yield. When the cucumber grows up, establish a low trellis, which will be twisted by the whip. So you raise the fruits above the soil, and keep the effect of the warmed beds, which is very good, because all pumpkin like to be warmed by "feet".

3. Alexander Semenov, the town of Staraya Russa

The villa site is small, and in order to save land, I plant cucumbers on a barrel.
    The old barrel of 100 or 200 l is filled with country waste (grass, straw, dry foliage, earth), and I pour over humus from above. Capacity well warmed up in the sun.
    I plant in each barrel 3-4 plants.
    I'm watering, I care for cucumbers as usual.
    When they grow up, the whips are sent down.
    Thus, plants are well ventilated and illuminated by the sun, less sick and well fruited. Harvest I get even more than from those plants that grow and spread along the ground.

4. Irina

I would like to know the advantages of the method of growing cucumbers in bags or barrels. What other cultures can be grown like this? Can I use this method for a balcony?

Cultivation of cucumbers in barrels, bags and other containers adapted for this purpose has a number of advantages. This method serves as a kind of replacement for the greenhouse, in the case of cooling it is easier to protect the plant by covering it with a film, or even simply moving it to a house, a barn, a glazed terrace for a while.

The soil in individual tanks is heated up more quickly than in the ridge, which creates better conditions for obtaining early products. In order to further accelerate the beginning of fruiting, it is possible to put ready seedlings in sacks. In addition, such plantings take up little space, which, in the case of a deficit of land, makes it possible to obtain a quite tangible crop of fresh vegetables in the middle of the ravines (for example, at the end of the garden paths, economic zones, etc.). In the absence of a summer cottage with the help of containers, you can break a small garden on the balcony or loggia.
      Minuses of such growth can be considered the rapid drying of the substrate in a small volume of the container, as well as possible stagnation of water in case of excessive watering or prolonged rain in the open ground.
      Therefore, when choosing a variety, it is necessary to focus on such qualities as relative drought resistance, a powerful root system, and also the habitus of plants, which allows the maximum use of a small volume. Specially created cucumber varieties' F1 Balcony ', F1 Balagan', 'F1 Calendar'. 'F1 Hummingbird', 'F1 City cucumber'. 'F1 Makhaon' with short interstices, small leaves and long shoots with numerous small, long not overgrown greens and extended fruiting time, are best suited for cultivation in a small volume of soil.
      In bags and barrels you can successfully grow other cultures: pumpkin, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, strawberries; in small containers - spicy herbs (basil, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, thyme, sage, lavender and others).
      For growing vegetables, containers are filled with any loose earth, peat, compost, various peat-soil mixtures. The bottom is covered with a layer of expanded clay and drainage holes are made for draining excess water.
      In the ground, especially for growing on the balcony, it is desirable to add moisture-retaining additives (eg, agrogel). The tanks are filled with the soil mixture, not reaching 5-6 cm up to the upper edge. In the process of vegetation and as the soil shrinks, it is poured into the old level.

Cucumber stalks can be tied to supports or lashes, like ampel plants, grow freely down, pinching the long ends of the shoots. In open areas and verandas it is very convenient to use a mobile trellis - tanks with attached to them a support, replacing the trellis wire. Care of plants in containers practically does not differ from leaving in a greenhouse. Cucumbers are hygrophilous, so watering should be abundant and regular. Feeding the planting will also have to be more frequent than in the ground, about 1 times in 5-7 days. For top dressing it is better to use complex mineral

5. Valentina TIKHONOVA, Krasnodar Territory

I prepare the garden for cucumbers in the autumn. I shoot aside the upper fertile layer, and I pour down all the available organic matter: grass, leaves, kitchen waste, chopped branches of bushes, stalks of Jerusalem artichoke, corn. I shed mass with a solution of Baikal EM- / (0,5 item at 10 L of water) and return the removed land to the top (in spring I add humus here). Over the winter, everything rots, the soil becomes as fluffy, and what gorgeous cucumbers grow!

6. Maria PENZINA, Samara

A neighbor of a cucumber grows in metal barrels: so it is more convenient for them to take care of and collect fruits. And still it is possible to receive a crop earlier: this year the first cucumbers the neigbour has removed 10 of June! But at once I warn: the ground in barrels dries up faster, and plants need to be watered more often, and still the edges of the container should be wrapped around with a cloth, so that the whips are not frayed or burned. The bottom of the barrels of the vegetable garden fills with plant remains, the top sifts 20 cm of land - and sows dry seeds.
    And all 7 barrels sow at different times to stretch the crop: the first lot sows 12-15 April, the last - on Pakhoma (28 May). The barrel, until the seeds germinate, covers with a spunbond (after a while it lifts it over the plants to the bow), and if it's cold, it's also a film. In each barrel grows 3-5 plant varieties Mashenka, Aladdin, Artist. First time feeds cucumbers solution mullein, the second - a preparation Gaspadar, and then as a fertilizer and protection from diseases - herbal extract. Prepares it this way: pours in the barrel grass celandine, tansy, nettle, dandelion, wormwood; as will ferment - dilutes with water 1: 10 and pours plants under the root.
    This year, the leaves of cucumbers began to become covered with dry brown spots (most likely, anthracnose).
    Then, on the advice of a neighbor, sprinkled them with onion broth (a handful of husks boil in 1 l of water, strain, dilute in 10 l of water and add a couple of drops of zelenka). The disease stopped something, but, of course, the diseased whips did not recover, they had to be treated earlier, for prevention, as a neighbor did: her bushes remained green.

I'll tell you about growing cucumbers in barrels. I've been using this method for more than 15 years and have constantly improved something. I fill the barrel with foliage, the tops of peas (edible and flowering) with layers of earth and ash, I pour with the infusion of litter with nettles. On top put 3-4 buckets of pre-red compost land. I prepare the barrels from autumn.
    Sometimes in the early spring I use 1-2 barrels for growing tagetes and nasturtium. I plant two seeds in a large barrel, one in a small barrel. In the center is a stick to which I tie the ropes (I take new ropes every year so that the diseases are not transmitted).
    Very effective looking barrels in different parts of the garden are all in sight, well ventilated and illuminated. I have six barrels, I collect a lot of cucumbers. It is convenient to take care of them, it is convenient to collect them.

8. T. Kozhanova, St. Petersburg

I hope you have a good harvest of cucumbers. And that next year was even better, I advise after the cucumber season to sow in the greenhouse rye.
    I have been using this technique for many years. I tried colza and mustard, but they do not give such an effect. First, rye heals the soil. If there were any sores in the greenhouse, then they will leave. And most importantly, rye is an excellent biofuel. When it is still cold outside (7-8 °), the soil in the greenhouse will be much warmer. I sow rye from the heart, as soon as the cucumbers come down. This usually happens at the end of September. But in the last few years, the autumn was so warm that it was sown in October. At the same time, rye went away with not very high stubble before winter. In the spring, before planting cucumbers, I dig up this whole rye field not deeply, but I do not remove the remaining straw and roots from the garden. Maybe this looks a bit messy - it doesn't matter. In a month and a half, while cucumbers grow, everything will decompose.

9. Lyudmila Mityukhlyaeva, Kungur, Perm Region

For many years I plant cucumbers and never left without harvest. And last year the cucumbers did not have any lashes. Why? The neighbors have the same trouble: one stem, and that soon withered.

10. Olga Ilyina

We use to the maximum every piece of garden. Pumpkins and cucumbers are sometimes planted along the fence in barrels. But where are they so much prapeshsya? Therefore, steel began to make barrels of welded mesh. Their height can be arbitrary, to whom it is convenient: we got them by 0.6-1 m. Having fastened the ends of the sheets, inside we straighten a dense garbage bag on 120 l, and from above we strengthen it with an old hose cut along one side. Several of these barrels are behind our greenhouse. In the first year in the autumn, she stuffed them with leaves and grass, added hay of last year, covered the ground and planted cucumbers and peppers. The harvest was good.

11. Galina MIRONOVA

Cucumbers in the Cylinder
    When only started to grow cucumbers in a greenhouse, faced with a problem: after frequent watering under the root on the root neck formed a white coating, and the plants soon died. It turned out that this disease is caused by excessive soil moisture. The solution was suggested to me by my neighbors.
    So that the earth around the stem remains dry, I proceed like this: I cut off the bottom with a neck in liter plastic bottles - a cylinder about 10 in height is produced.
    When planting seedlings, I put on such a cylinder for each plant and deepen it on 2-3. Now water does not get stuck on the stem and the soil around the root neck remains dry.

Often, summer residents argue about what kind of water to water cucumbers. And I immediately remembered the time of my youth, when I was resting in the summer with my grandmother in the village. Most of my work in the garden was watering. Grandmother asked me to put water from the river in the morning. The whole day, buckets were standing near the cucumber beds, basking in the sun, and in the evening we watered. “You can’t water the cucumbers with cold water,” my grandmother said, “their roots are tender, they can freeze and rot.” I have remembered this science for my whole life: I pour cucumbers and zucchini only with treated water. True, if the summer is warm, then directly from the pond - the water also warms up in it, but not from the river: running water does not heat up like in a pond. Now, of course, they sell various seasoned varieties of cucumbers. I planted once, so everyone was bitter.
    Elena Nikolaeva