Use of lilies in garden design
This time I would like not to talk about the agricultural technology of growing lilies - enough has already been written about this - but still pay attention to their use in the garden.
Lily is really not a simple culture; some of its varieties can compete in composition even with the queen of rose flowers. Since the lily encroached on the royal lady, what can we say about "commoners"! But do not abandon this culture at all.
If we are talking about a combination of roses and lilies, then we will start with just this difficult combination. This duet is not at all trivial, but this is all the beauty. Main-
Pus - choose the right partners. So, huge lily flowers from the group Oriental hybrids - Cassandra, Dizzy, Sorbonne, Merostar - 100% attract attention. So why plant a spectacular rose next to them? In this case, it is better to pay attention to small-flowered varieties.
Lilies with small flowers looking either down or sideways are perfect for a small garden - White Tiger, Lady Alice, Pearl Slacey. Such people get along not only with roses - they will be good with astilbe, and geraniums, and with other perennials.
You can also pay attention to the Tubular and Orleans hybrids - Golden Splendor, African Queen, Scheherazade. Their elongated flowers look completely pompous, very elegant. In the garden they are really good (with roses and not only)
tested by own experience. So, looking for free space in the garden for the window-maker, I found a piece of land just near the lily Pink Perfection. And then they bloomed - almost simultaneously. Almost one tone of flowers, but a different shape ... A magnificent duet! Lily leaned over to her buddy friend and peered through his foliage. The combination was very beautiful. In addition, this couple was chosen by butterflies, which rarely before that flew into my garden.
The most friendly, in my opinion, are lilies from the section Martagón.
This is the Marchagon lily itself, or, as it is called in another way, the curly lily or the royal curls, the Hans lily, the elegant lily and the two-row lily.
Their delicate, touching flowers are not “waxy” at all, but are so natural! And breeders who constantly pamper us with various new products, and lily marchon not left aside. Therefore, in addition to the traditional pink color, we can now admire the orange Orange Marmalade, and white Album, and red Manitoba Morning, and yellow Mrs. R.O. Backhouse, as pure coloring (Yolk, White Nights), and with dots (Guinea Gold), freckles (Lilith) and strokes ("Brook"). It is very pleasant, there is plenty to choose from. But there is a catch: these plants are not sunny, they prefer light partial shade, it is there that they show everything that they are capable of. Therefore, use the sun we can not.
But in partial shade, among the host and ferns, these lilies will be good.
Reference by topic: Lilies - planting and care, varieties and species
Lily in the flower garden: an example of 1
FLOWER 1 “SALISTS AND STATISTS”
We did not say anything about the varieties of lilies from the group Asian hybrids, although they can often be found on sale. Large, bright flowers of these lilies are also difficult to combine with other plants. They are very expressive!
But they have one big plus - unlike a fairly large number of varieties from other groups, which in our conditions of risky farming feel so-so, these beauties are the most viable. If we talk about the composition, here we can act as follows: plant bulky placeholder plants with rather small flowers around lilies.
In the composition shown in the photo, the bright lily 'Grand Cru' is surrounded by a baptisia with small leaves, an xiphoid daylily, a bluish poppy seed sleeping pills and a green split poppy oriental, dark green spruce.
In such a "green" environment, this orange beauty looks especially bright. That is, in this case, the lily is the soloist, and all the rest are just extras. Even when the daylily blooms, the lily will still dominate this composition.
Lily in the flower garden: an example of 2
FLOWER 2: LUXURY UPPER
The composition shown in the photo looks just natural ... If not for one “upstart” that jumps out in the center of the flower garden - a lily Friso, OT hybrid with huge, like wax flowers, white on the edge of the petals, purple-red in the center, and the neck bright yellow. But for some reason she is not at all annoying. Surrounded by a nyvyanik and Perovsky she looks rather harmoniously. And the background for this composition is the common stick.
Very beautiful plant, but not for us, unfortunately. We can replace it except that the buddlei of David, which forms a fairly large bush, for example varieties Orchid Beauty with pale, purple inflorescences, Empire Blue - with blue-violet or Black Knight - with purple, and you can still plant a natural form from this buddley - f. Vicha: she is taller, she has large inflorescences that bloom in early August.
COMBINATIONS WITH LILY - (compatibility of other colors)
1. Lily 'Scheherazade' with slightly twisted petals, the eastern beauty is puffed, attracts the eye. She in this composition is prima, and all other plants (monarch, scabiosa, baptisia, feather grass) are designed to emphasize her charm.
2. The joint planting of a rose and clematis is already considered almost classic, but look how harmoniously the combination of blue clematis and soft pink lily looks! And as a placeholder plant - lavender.
Z. And here is that lily Marchon, a species plant and its white-flowered form. They will look great among almost any plant.
4. Gently pink lily Elodie is considered a terry, although not everyone pleases with double flowers, for example, in the photo only the rudiments of the second row of petals are visible. But even in this form it is attractive and is combined with iris and host.
5. Bright lily (from the group Asian hybrids) and a very bright rudbeckia - a recipe for raising the mood.
6. Contrast combination of peach lily and dark violet-blue delphinium. Here the contrast is not only in color, but also in the shape of flowers and inflorescences.
7. And again the lily of 'Scheherazade', but look: in a completely different capacity! Here she is no longer a diva, but only one of the plants of the composition. Near the cannons, agapanthus, she no longer looks so magnificent.
8. The pomposity of peach lilies can soften large ammi - an excellent plant with delicate white inflorescences.
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- When to plant asters for seedlings
- Common lumbago - planting, nursing and reproduction (including seeds)
- Pelargonium - in open ground or in flowerpots? (difference in care)
- Corydalis dense (photo) cultivation and care
- Lavender in the garden: with what flowers and what to plant in a flower garden
- Plants from seeds - sowing "savages"
- Storage of bulbs and tubers of flowers in paraffin
- If you are late with the landing of gladioli ...
- What needs to be done for the lush and abundant flowering of clematis in the country?
- Daylily division and transplantation - personal experience
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!