1. Oleg Ivanovich SHUBIN

Which beet is suitable for borsch?

Large roots of carrots and beets are not very welcome by the hostesses. It is not very convenient to use, say, for borscht half or even a third of the overgrown red "head". And there is a fear that nitrates in such root crops can be much higher than normal. And although most of these fears are groundless, especially when vegetables are grown using the principles of organic farming, it is still worth trying to limit the growth of root vegetables.

As we know, their size is greatly influenced by the area that we assign to each plant: the larger it is, the larger the root vegetables grow. And when we do not need it, it is necessary to reduce the distance between the rows when landing. It is usually recommended to make this interval up to 20 cm, but for small-sized roots it should be halved.

If during landing it was not possible to do this, with the first thinning, when a pair of real leaves appears, you can shorten the distance between plants from recommended 10 to 5-6, see.
    During the formation and filling of root crops under the beets, it is necessary to pour the wood ash twice. This will reduce the acidity of the soil, which "overtake" fertilizers.

2. Zoya KRASNOVA, Orenburg

Beet tops are a valuable product, it is not difficult to get it, because last year root crops are suitable for house forcing. I took flower boxes, poured steamed garden soil into it, mixed with a little sand and humus.

For forcing, I select the smallest root crops and plant them in prepared soil closely to each other. But before planting, I cut the tails with a knife. I do not close the apical bud with earth, so that it does not rot.

For forcing, I use varieties of cylindrical shape: the greenery grows faster than the round beet. 1 times in 3 weeks I feed with a solution of 0,5 l of warm water and 1 tsp. hydrogen peroxide.

3. Evgenia Stepanovna STEELMASH

Red, and whitens!

Soon the spring, and many girls will be bothered by the problem of freckles. I advise you to use the old recipe that our grandmothers used. Strangely enough, they used for this purpose the juice of the canteen (red!) Of beets. It turns out that it perfectly whitens the pigment spots.

Lotion for this purpose is prepared very simply. It is necessary to grate the beets, squeeze juice from it with the help of gauze and dilute it in half with cold boiled water. This liquid, applied to a cotton swab, should be wiped with freckles. After this, wait 10-15 minute to wash your face without soap and any other means with warm water. For a lasting effect, such procedures should be done daily for two weeks.

4. Irina PAVLOVA, Moscow Region

Selectively, the beet for food begins to pull out already in August, when the diameter of the root crop reaches 3-4 cm. This is convenient when cooking, and well affects the remaining plants that I want to store - thinned, they grow larger. Beets water 1 -2 times a week and certainly feed potassium,
    which can be seen from dying old leaves. Potassium extract is rich in potassium. I pour a litred jar of ashes with boiling water, I insist for 24 hours, I add water to Yul and water the plants. And for sugar, the beetroot is watered with a solution of table salt (1 / 4 cent. Per bucket of water) - and then she does not take sweets!

5. Dmitry GOROVTSOV, Surgut

"Coniferous" carrots
    Last autumn, I checked the storage of carrots. In one of the comments Faust Shkatulo recommended to lower root crops for 10 minutes in 4-5-day infusion of needles or onion
    husks (100 g raw material pour 1 L of water). He did it all, then dried the roots and put them in plastic bags. I kept them open in the cellar. Carrots preserved perfectly!

6. Lyudmila ZELENKEVICH

Beets and carrots are stored in loosely closed wooden boxes with a capacity of up to 20 kg, in which vegetables, while laying, are sprinkled with leaves of Kalina. This is especially useful if the basement is wet.
    Carrots and beets are also perfectly preserved if they are poured with a mixture of sand and chalk (10 kg of sand - 200 g crushed chalk or dry lime). So I create in the boxes an alkaline medium, which prevents the development of undesirable microflora. However, after such a sprinkling, the vegetables are washed more carefully when cooking than usual.

7. Alexander Gorny, Cand. of sciences

Beets are sensitive to storage temperature: already at +4 deg, seedlings may appear, and its keeping quality is deteriorating. Therefore, before laying the crop, the storage is cooled to the required + 1 ... + 2 degrees, and after that the humidity is maintained within 85-95%.

8. Anna MELNIKOVA

After removing the beets, if the weather is good, I leave it 1-2 days to lie in the embankment, covering the tops and weeded weeds. After such a mild drying, the soil from the roots is easily crumbled. Then I sort the beets into paper bags with small holes for ventilation and put them in dried and lime-treated boxes in the shed.

9. Stanislav Aleinikov, St. Petersburg

Sand, salt and ... foil?
    For a couple of years I have been keeping carrots and beets in granular sand. At the bottom of the box I fill in a slightly moist sand with a thickness of 2-3 cm, then I put root crops in one layer, I again sprinkle with sand and again distribute the root crops, leaving the top of the 5-10 box free. In winter, I check the vegetables: the sand should remain dry. If the beets are small, it can be folded into a box or a linen bag, pouring salt.
    On one of the forums on the Internet, he read the tip: the vegetable grower wraps root vegetables with foil. Claims that not a single copy disappears! Maybe someone tried it? I want to test the way this year.

10. Victor RUSSIAN

It is also in the apartment!
    A part of the beet is stored in the apartment on the insulated balcony. Root vegetables put in a box and pour the sawdust, and when the cold comes, I cover it with rags. Regularly I check them and delete the corrupted ones.

11. Marina ELSUKOVA, the city of Kostroma

3 secret beet-long-liver
    We grow a lot of beets, so that it will be enough for the whole year. In the summer we eat young, straight from the garden. For spring cold borsch we can. But the main part of the harvest is taken for storage in the basement. And we keep it perfectly!
    First, to lay in the basement you need only well-dried vegetables, collected in dry weather. If autumn is rainy, then it is better to wait with cleaning. Healthy root crops in the soil will not rot, and in rainy weather there is no frost. After a week or two, the rains will necessarily end, the soil will dry out slightly. That's when you need to dig up the beetroot.
    Yes, digging up, not pulling out, is the second secret of good preservation. Root crops are extracted practically from the dried up earth. If the earth
    still sticking, then you do not need to sharply shake off and, moreover, tap the beets. The earth must be carefully cleaned by hand, cut off the foliage without affecting the top, and then carefully decompose the crop to dry. Ideally, if the day is fine and the sun is shining, then you can dry it in the air. In case of bad weather, you will have to decompose the vegetables in one layer in the barn and periodically turn them over.
    Before cleaning the basement, you need to carefully sort through the vegetables again. Best suited for storing root crops of average size for their variety, without damage, sores and well ripened. A sign of quality ripening is a compacted, tuberous, bark-like upper part. This is my 3rd secret of preserving delicious beets until spring.