Clematis LIVING IN LOVE - SECRETS AND TIPS
The garden of Marina OVCHINNIKOVA from the village of Nikolaevka in the Mogilev region is buried in flowers in the summer. With special love and reverent attitude of the attractive owner, the clematis are kindly caressed. See how beautiful Marina grows! And listen to her tips for caring for vines.
They say that if you choose the right varieties of clematis for your garden, then half the job is done. Do you agree?
- Yes, of course. In my collection, specimens that are suitable for growing in the middle lane are adapted to our climate. Also, when choosing clematis, it is important to proceed from where you want to plant them - near an arch, pergola or any building. What if you want to make the liana an accent of a flower arrangement? Near the arches, tall, flowering plants of Purpurea Plena Elegans, John Paul 2 and many others were planted. Favorite clematis-solitaire: Beautiful Bride with flowers up to 28 cm in diameter and Kaiser, which is studded with buds almost from the ground.
Of the new products, I like the Solidarity variety with large red flowers. Quite a rare color, because these plants are mainly dominated by lilac tones. You can decorate a fence or building with unpretentious clematis Cosmic melody or Elegy. They bloom for a long time. True, it is desirable to plant them in the sun, unlike princes, who feel good in partial shade.
Please share the secrets of planting clematis.
- Massively sell seedlings in the spring. At this time, I buy them and plant them. Moreover, if the kidneys have not yet woken up, you can not be afraid of return frosts. When the leaves are opened, I cover the clematis with a cut off five-liter bottle with an open neck. When a green shoot appears from it, I take off the shelter. I plant plants with a closed root system in the summer. At this time, they do not need shelter. In late August and early September, I divide and plant old bushes. By the way, it is often written on the Internet that clematis in one place can grow up to 20 years. My experience shows: at the age of ten, flowers fade. So it's time to rejuvenate.
One more tip from the world wide web: the landing hole should be 60 × 60 cm. In my opinion, this recommendation is valid only for large delenki. If you have a young one-two-year-old seedling, it’s not necessary to dig such a large hole. Want to follow the rule? Then prepare the place at least a few days before the intended planting, so that the soil has time to settle. If you have a lowland, do not forget about drainage. Clematis do not like acidic soils, but I do not know the land.
I read that then it lacks iron, due to which plants become ill with chlorosis. Into the planting pit, with depth and width on the bayonet of a shovel, I bring in a mixture of garden soil with compost (1: 1), add a glass of wood ash and a handful of complex fertilizer. I straighten the roots of the seedling on the knoll. I dig the buds on 6-8 cm. In autumn delenki - to a depth of 10-12 cm. When spring planting, I do not sprinkle green shoots of the first-year ground with the soil, leaving a hole around. By mid-summer, the shoots are woody and can already be covered with earth. Also shade young seedlings. Here again a five-liter bottle helps, coated with clay inside. Clematis watering well watering (later on weather). Little clematis needs support immediately. It is not permissible for a liana to lie on the ground.
Your clematis bloom great! What are you feeding?
- The main rule: clematis is contraindicated in any form of manure. I have been feeding root dressings since April-May. First I give nitrogen (a solution of urea or ammonium nitrate). You need to be careful with the dosage, it is better to follow the instructions. Excess nitrogen provokes the development of fungal diseases. During budding I use “Crystal” for abundantly flowering plants. From organics, biohumus and preparations based on humic acids are excellent. I feed once a month. In August, I completely stop feeding. After the second wave of flowering, the testes are removed so that the plant does not waste strength on their ripening.
See also: 7 Clematis Care Questions
How to protect clematis from disease?
- Subject to agricultural technology, they do not get sick. However, at the dawn of my hobby, I was in trouble. Lost several copies due to the wilt. Its signs - the plant quickly fades, blackens. I deal with the disease like this: remove the affected shoots. The remaining ones are treated with any copper-containing preparation (I spray and spill). In the future, shoots well tied up and planted bushes in a quiet place. There, at least half a day, the sun should drop in.
In the spring I start preventive treatment with fungicides. In this regard, I like Fol-con (5 ml / 10 l of water). Since the causative agents of wilt (fungal spores) live in the soil, it is necessary to reduce the contact of the plant with it. Here I borrowed the experience of the Belarusian experimental gardener Stefan Nedyalkov. He adds ash to the river sand and sprinkles at the base of the shoots.
Do you have a lot of trouble on the eve of winter?
- In the second half of August, to increase frost resistance, I introduce complex fertilizer with a predominance of phosphorus. At the end of October, I cut the clematis of the third group at a height of 20 cm from the base and spud. I remove the plants of the second group from the supports, cut them at a height of 1 m from the base, spud and again tie them to the support. For insurance I wrap a spanbond. Young clematis winter well under plastic bottles with corks. I do not cover the roots with trimmed shoots - mice are brought into them. For this I use spruce branches.
Interviewed by Lidia NOVIKOVA. Photo by the author and Marina OVCHINNIKOVA
NOTE: WHY DOES KLEMATIS TURN YELLOW?
The foliage on my clematis turned yellow last summer. What is my vine sick with and can I help her?
Tamara Dmitrievna GUSEVA, Voronezh region, Boguchar
Sometimes spotting appears on the leaves, which occurs due to pathogenic fungi. The liana is saved from them by preparations containing copper - this is copper or iron vitriol. They treat the plant in spring and autumn, and the affected leaves and shoots are immediately plucked and burned.
There may be several reasons for this condition. First, the plant lacks nutrients. Secondly, yellowing of the leaves can cause fungal diseases. Thirdly, this symptom may signal that pests have infected the roots of clematis. Therefore, it is important to establish the cause immediately in order to save the vine from death.
In particular, a disease called rust can manifest itself in this way. Yellow or brown swellings appear on the leaves and stems. As a result, they are deformed, dry out completely and fall off. However, the plant can still release new leaves. But, having overwintered on clematis, rust in the spring can spread to young shoots, which threatens the death of the bush. Therefore, in the fall, you should carry out a complete pruning - to the roots. Even if clematis cannot bloom next year, pruning will save it for the future: new shoots will grow over the summer, and flowers will appear in a year.
Then clematis is sprayed with a 2% solution of Bordeaux liquid, "Oxyhom", "Polikom" or copper oxychloride.
At the same time, it is worth treating plants that grow nearby: tulips, phloxes, peonies, aquilegia, delphiniums, hosts.
Weather and pests
However, the wilting of a flower with yellowing of the leaves can also occur due to unstable air temperature, when, for example, in winter frosts are replaced by thaws. In this case, you need to water the plant under the root with a 2% solution of "Fundazol". This drug can also be used for preventive purposes in spring and autumn, as it prevents the growth and spread of fungi, but completely destroys them.
Keep in mind that the leaves can also turn yellow due to the fact that the roots of clematis eat the larvae of May beetles or nematodes. In this case, such a remedy helps: the vine is watered with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or water passed through the ash.
A good prevention of diseases for clematis is the use of wood ash: 1 part is mixed with 10 parts of sand and poured under the roots of the plant.
KLEMATIS - LANDING AND CARE FOR BEGINNERS - VIEWО
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Daylilies - classification by flowering groups (abbreviations), etc.
- Cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers - growing tips from the Candidate of Agricultural Sciences
- Planting and growing walnuts - gardener tips
- Tomato Trees - testimonials of an experienced gardener
- Planting and caring for clematis - fan tips for these colors
- Raspberry cultivation using the “long shoot” technology
- Which planting of strawberries is better - autumn or spring: we ask a professional
- Column-shaped apple trees for beginners - questions and answers of a professional
- Apricot plums or plum apricots - planting and care: gardener's tips
- On growing tomatoes and choosing varieties - collector's advice (2)
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!