Forcing greenery on the window in winter - advice from a candidate of agricultural sciences
GREENS ON THE WINDOW - WE REMOVE THE TOP FROM THE ROOTS
What is the difference between forcing and growing greens from seeds? In the second case, greens are formed due to solar energy and nutrients from the soil. And in the first - due to the reserves deposited in the root crop. Light is also needed for forcing, at least for the leaves to be green. But in this case, you can do without additional lighting, natural lighting is enough. Therefore, it is much more profitable to expel greens in winter than to grow them from seeds.
What can be kicked out
- onions - onions, shallots, leeks, garlic
- root vegetables - root parsley, celery, beets, carrots, radishes
- rhizomes - rhubarb, sorrel, asparagus, tarragon, lovage
FORCING ONION IN WINTER
You can drive out onions immediately after the season in the garden is over. Problems can only arise with spicy varieties of onions. After harvesting, they begin a period of deep dormancy, and they will grow back slowly.
For forcing, choose large bulbs that have already begun to germinate.
To speed up the process, trim 1 to 2 cm to the top of the head (trim to the shoulders). This technique brings the bulb out of dormancy and allows air to enter.
Sprinkle the cut site with ash or powdered activated carbon. This will dry out the wound and prevent the plant from getting sick. If mold appears on the cut, do not rush to discard the onion. The mold will gradually disappear. These are just fungi that feed on the juice that has flowed out of the wound; they will not pass further into the bulb.
Before forcing, fill the container with damp earth or sawdust (layer thickness - 5-8 cm), place the bulbs close to each other and slightly press them into the substrate.
Growing temperature does not have much of an effect on the yield, but the warmer it is, the faster the feathers will grow. The best option is + 20 ... + 22 degrees.
The lighting is quite natural, but if you grow onions far from the window or in several tiers, then you will have to supplement the lighting. A 20-30 watt light bulb is enough.
You rarely need to water the onion, otherwise midges will fly, but the substrate must be wet. The duration of forcing is an average of 30-40 days. The wounds on the cut leaves gradually tighten, and the leaf still grows 20-30 cm.
To get a harvest longer, feed the onions 1-2 times with a solution of calcium nitrate at the rate of 0 tsp. for 5 liters of water. Nitrogen will give powerful greens, and calcium will strengthen the walls of the leaves and will not allow them to lie down, even at high altitudes.
After forcing the bulbs, it is enough to loosen the substrate or soil, fill it with a fresh layer (2-3 cm) on top and carry out a new planting.
We also recommend reading: Forcing green onions to the New Year's table - planting your greens for the New Year
Forcing root crops differs from forcing bulbs in that the leaves can be cut continuously and over a longer period of time.
Store root vegetables dug up in the fall in containers or in a box in the cellar. Remove and plant them in pots or other containers, close to each other as needed.
Cutting greens can be carried out until the batteries run out and the root crop becomes flabby.
If the roots are very long, they can be cut by 1/3, sprinkle the cuts with ash or charcoal, and let the wound dry out a little.
Care is the same as for onions.
Rhizome plants such as mint and lemon balm can be successfully driven out in flower pots. The fresh leaves of these fragrant plants are an excellent seasoning and addition to tea, and simply rubbing the leaf in your hands, you will get pleasant sensations and memories of summer.
Store the rhizomes in moist sawdust or sand. If necessary, take them out of the cellar and plant them in a couple of 20-30 cm segments in a pot, sprinkling with a layer of earth 2-3 cm.
Gradually, shoots will form from the buds on the rhizomes. The supply of nutrients in the rhizomes is small, so they will have to be changed often. In order not to be left without greenery, plant fresh rhizomes every two weeks. As a result, you should organize such a conveyor: a box with just planted plants, a container with growing ones, and another one with herbs that you are cutting now. You can use long seedling boxes, in one such container you can plant several types of plants at once, and you will have a small vegetable garden in the winter.
FORCING GREEN IN WINTER - GARDENERS' TIPS AND FEEDBACK
GREENS FOR THE HOLIDAY
After the end of the summer season, it's time to plunge into the desired chores and grow fragrant greenery at home. Fresh herbs are especially nice to decorate dishes for the festive table.
- I prepare the soil loose, without lumps, so that the seeds can easily hatch. I add coconut substrate (3: 1) to the soil. It has bactericidal properties, contains nutrients, regulates humidity and has a neutral pH, which allows it to be used for all types of greens in indoor cultivation.
- When sowing, I take into account the size of the seeds. I deepen the large ones (coriander) by no more than 3 mm, I place very important small points (mint) superficially.
- I sow the seeds quite thickly and as the seedlings grow, I gradually thin it out. I use the sprouts removed from the bowl in cooking, adding to salads, soups or decorating sandwiches.
- Seeds germinate in a dark place.
- As soon as the first loops of sprouts appear, I additionally highlight for 12-14 hours so that the stems do not stretch.
- I spray from a spray bottle to keep the humidity in the air. This is especially important if the bowls with plants are near heating appliances.
- Once every 2-3 weeks I feed the crops with City Farmer. Greens A + B "(according to instructions).
- As crops such as basil, mint grow, I pinch the tops of the shoots to form a more voluminous and beautiful bush.
AT THE END OF SPRING OR AT THE BEGINNING OF SUMMER ALREADY FORMED PLANTS (MELISSA, THYME, ROSEMARY) CAN BE PLANTED IN OPEN GROUND.
© Author: Natalia NATSAEVA, Krasnoyarsk
Having herbs on hand all year round, you can not only use them fresh, but also prepare a healthy and aesthetically beautiful spice!
Buy medium sea salt and prepare your favorite fresh herbs: chives, parsley, dill, thyme, tarragon, basil…
Rinse the sprigs with leaves, dry well and grind in a blender or pass through a meat grinder with a fine grate. Sprinkle salt on a plate, add green puree. Mix the ingredients thoroughly by kneading them with your hands. It is advisable to wear gloves so that the skin does not suffer from salt. Cover the baking sheet with parchment, pour the prepared mixture and put in the oven with a minimum temperature - no higher than 50 degrees! Dry a little, turn off. Let cool, stir and turn on the oven again. Do this several times until the mixture is completely dry.
© Author: Elena MATYUNINA, phyto-healer, blog host “Herbs. In love with herbs”, Lipetsk
See also: Dismissal - what is it and how right. Micro-greenery
VERTICAL BEDS FOR FORCING GREEN OWN HANDS ON THE WINDOW SILL - VIDEO
© Author: Anton LESHCHEV, Cand. of sciences
ORDER QUALITY AND CHEAP SEEDS AND OTHER PRODUCTS FOR HOME AND COTTAGE. PRICES ARE BOTTLE. CHECKED! JUST LOOK FOR YOURSELF AND BE AMAZED. THERE ARE REVIEWS. GO >>>
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Asparagus cultivation - planting and care (Bryansk region)
- How best to grow zucchini - seeds or seedlings. Varieties of courgettes
- Growing different types of lettuce - planting and proper care (Tver)
- Radish (photo) planting and care: advice and agronomist reviews
- Growing pumpkins in the Oryol region - planting and care, my advice
- Causes of poor seed germination that are not related to the quality of the seed.
- Salads Salanova - Exam, Exakt and Gauguin - my reviews
- Winter crops of vegetables - when and how: agronomist's advice
- Growing of green (margelan) radish - planting and care
- The difference in picking, transshipment and transplanting seedlings
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!