VIRAL DISEASES OF GARDEN PLANTS
It happens that gangsters go over to the bright side. And this is a scientific fact. Recently (last summer) a neighbor boasted to me of a new decorative apple variety with a characteristic geometric pattern on the leaves. She said that there was a dwarf apple tree with unusual leaves. And I was very surprised to read the embarrassment and anger on my face. “Don't be jealous,” she shook her finger at me.
It's your birthday soon, I'll give you one! Only this is still a secret! " - mischievously winked and put her finger to her lips. At my attempts to explain myself, she brewed fragrant tea and hinted that I watched too much TV. And only the appeal to the help of the collective Internet mind returned her common sense, the hostess sighed with the words of the classic: "Drive him through the door, it flies through the window." And then she seriously stared at me and in a whisper asked: "Is it really a virus?"
There are about 400000 types of viruses in nature, only 10% have a scientific description. For the first time microorganisms smaller than bacteria were noticed by DI Ivanovsky in 1892. Using a special apparatus invented by microbiologist Charles Chamberlain, he filtered out all large particles, but the infectious properties remained.
This is how the tobacco mosaic virus was discovered.
THE MOST DANGEROUS VIRUSES OF FRUIT TREES AND SHRUBS
Do you know the most dangerous viruses of fruit trees and bushes?
- Ring spot virus... All fruit and berry crops suffer. The plant is strongly oppressed, dies quickly. The pattern on the leaves and fruits forms rings. Carriers: thrips, nematodes. Risk factors: thickened plantings, high humidity.
- Plum sharki virus... It affects stone fruit crops. The leaves have a characteristic oak-leaved pattern, the plants weaken, the fruits crumble. Carried by aphids.
- Apple Mosaic Virus... Colored stripes and spots appear on the leaves, the edges of the leaves darken.
- Chlorotic spot virus.
- Apricot Mosaic Virus.
- Black currant striped mosaic.
- Reversion (terry) of black currant.
- Raspberry jaundice.
- Bushy raspberry dwarfism.
- Strawberry xanthosis.
- Wrinkled strawberry leaves.
Viral plant diseases are transmitted with sap from infected specimens, if the tools are not disinfected. And also through sucking pests (aphids, ticks, nematodes) and, much less often, with pollen.
Spots on the leaves of an apple tree may appear due to a lack of trace elements in the soil. Then it is necessary to apply the appropriate fertilizers to fill the deficit. For example, the most common is iron chlorosis. With a lack of iron in the soil, the leaves turn yellow, starting from the tops of the shoots. Treatments with trace elements containing iron are effective. It is necessary to carry out 3 treatments per month, maintaining equal intervals. You can also add ferrous sulfate directly to the soil.
The situation is much worse if the spots have a clearly pronounced pattern: stripes and spots - with a mosaic of apple leaves; rings - with chlorotic spotting.
Unfortunately, viral diseases in plants are easier to prevent. But it is impossible to cure. So that other plants do not get sick, the sick have to be destroyed.
Only prevention helps plants
Therefore it is necessary:
- - fight against pests-carriers of viruses, carry out preventive treatments before bud break, in the green cone phase and after flowering;
- - it is imperative to disinfect tools during pruning and other manipulations in which the juice of one plant can come into contact with the body of another plant. (I always have chlorhexidine in stock for this: if anything, you can treat yourself a scratch and disinfect garden tools. If you prefer more specialized means, iron vitriol, a concentrated solution of potassium permanganate, pharmacayod will do.);
- - be attentive, including to novelties in neighboring gardens, try not to thicken crops and plantings, remove suspicious specimens without waiting for epidemics.
Here you can feel "how unlucky the apple trees are, how lucky you are!"
Because the human immune system independently, without our conscious participation, repels viral attacks 24/7. And how does this system work, what formed its basis? Unbelievable, but it is a fact. Like re-educated criminals who have gone over to the side of the world, her work is provided by the previous viruses, which have become an integral part of the host organism in the course of evolution.
Here's another interesting fact: the most common bacteria in the ocean has a weapon - a tamed virus, with which it destroys competitors.
PLANT VIRAL DISEASES - VIDEO
© Author: N. VORONTSOVA, agronomist
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Than the vegetables and other plants became ill: a table reminder for the summer resident
- Human medicines - use for plants
- How to get rid of slugs - agronomist tips
- Biological products for flower seedlings - my tips and reviews
- The most dangerous viruses of berry bushes and fruit trees - fight and prevention
- How to get rid of a butterfly cabbage butterfly
- Is it true that viburnum attracts pests to the garden?
- What is sick with onions and winter garlic - a photo, name, description and drugs for treatment
- Pests and diseases of strawberries in pictures and the fight against them
- Powdery mildew on phlox - how to cure flowers (+ folk remedies)
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!