SCARIFICATION OF SEEDS AND THEIR STRATIFICATION
It seems that I fulfill all the conditions when sowing, but the seeds do not germinate. And every time I think that I bought unsuccessful ones again.
- Not always the reason is the quality of the seed.
1. There is a whole group of plants in which, due to the underdevelopment of the embryo, dense shells, and the high content of inhibitors (they inhibit growth), seeds do not germinate under normal conditions. They need stratification, and sometimes also scarification.
Stratification - this is keeping (depending on the type of plant - from 2 weeks to 3 months) at a certain temperature and humidity. Now (January) is a favorable time for laying seeds of many conifers, shrubs (turf, shepherdia, sucker, clematis, hawthorn, cotoneaster, almonds), perennials (primrose, lavender, buttercups, anemones, viola, lychnis, delphinium, dicenters, dodecatheon, cotton wool). In just a few weeks, it will be too late to sow!
You can stratify in the refrigerator at + 2-5 degrees. The seeds are laid out on wet cotton pads (large ones can be wrapped in pieces of bandage) or mixed with peat (moss, perlite). Suitable and peat tablets, a mixture of peat with clean sand (1: 1). Moisten, put in polyethylene (in a box with a lid) and - in the compartment for vegetables. Regularly check the crops - sometimes seedlings may already appear there.
Scarification - violation of the seed coat. To do this, they can be kept in the cold, and then doused with boiling water; cut with a knife without damaging the embryo; rub on one side with sandpaper, thinning the peel.
Seeds of lupine, aconite, castor bean, datura, rank, hellebore, podophyllum, ash tree, briar, baptisia, astragalus, breya, tree peony, etc. are scarified.
2. Some germinate only in the light, so they are sown superficially (petunia, lobelia, coleus, shaving, etc.).
H. Expiration (in many plant species, the seed quickly loses its germination capacity) and improper storage temperature. Please check the date when purchasing.
© Author: Irina KULAKHMETOVA, agronomist, Gelendzhik
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- How to propagate barberry
- 10 questions “Why” of July from summer residents and gardeners
- The best acidity for vegetables and flowers
- Growing citrus in the home - frequently asked questions
- Wine for beginners - preparation and varieties
- Golden Potato Nematode - Control Measures
- Have the pears darkened bark?
- Wintering rhododendrons - shelters, mulching and watering
- A hedge - from what and how?
- Why do potatoes grow lumpy?
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!