FENCE IN THE COTTAGE: SIMPLE, BUT FOR AGES - OWN HANDS
Fencing garden plots is a hot topic. Readers have repeatedly suggested various options for hedges and fences, but many designs have one drawback - they require significant material and labor costs.
I think it is for this reason that the proposed solutions are unacceptable to most gardeners. Especially now, when the prices of building materials have skyrocketed. No, summer residents in the outback need something simpler and more realistic. I also once had a need to urgently build a fence, and I decided to develop a project that has the following positive properties: 1) minimal financial costs for materials; 2) minimum labor costs; 3) the possibility of construction in the autumn-winter period (in the summer there is enough other work); 4) the use of materials - logs, poles, etc. - which for many are lying on the site and littering it; 5) the presence of the simplest tools: sledgehammers (8 kg), hacksaws, hammers, axes, chisels. (I excluded the use of power tools, since there is no electricity in the garden.) The project was developed, the fence was built in the shortest possible time.
The highlight was the support of the original design invented by me. In my opinion, this is a new development that I have not seen in the literature - my own invention.
This support design is different in that it allows:
- - install racks without excavation;
- - install poles on a site with rocky soil, where it is impossible to dig even a shallow hole (it is on such soil that our site is located);
- – work in the autumn-winter period; - use metal waste as non-existent elements - pieces of reinforcement, pipes (both round and square), corners of various sizes, etc .;
- - do without the use of concrete and mortars, which are practically excluded in winter; – use hand tools instead of sophisticated machinery.
As a result, I built the fence alone, without outside help, when I was 62 years old. The calculations were made taking into account the stability of the fence under wind loads with their limiting values for our Ural region. A five-fold margin of safety was provided, which was confirmed by all 27 years of operation (photo 1-2). But over the years, stormy winds have often flown. In the forest next to the garden, there were blockages of trees, but the fence did not receive any damage.
In 27 years, I have not replaced a single rack, not a single horizontal run! The erection of the fence was carried out in the following sequence (see Fig.).
According to the markup, a force element (pos. 1) is hammered (strictly vertically, according to the level) into the ground. The best option is a reinforcing bar with a diameter of 25-30 mm: it penetrates better into complex rocky soils, and less time and effort are spent on preparing a groove for it in a column.
A base (pos. 4) is installed on the ground for the purpose of waterproofing without the use of concrete and mortar.
A waterproofing gasket (pos. 3) is installed - a piece of roofing felt, roofing material or plastic from a 5-liter bottle.
A wooden post (pos. 2) is installed on the gasket. Vertical wooden elements are practically not subject to rotting if moisture does not get into them from below. The posts are installed so that the groove for the power element coincides with the direction of the fence.
Neighboring racks are connected by horizontal runs (pos. 7), and enclosing elements are installed on them - mesh, boards, poles, etc.
This design is rigid and prevents all external forces and influences. Experience in the operation of the fence showed the absolute reliability of the proposed supports. By the way, I also used the idea of installing wooden racks on power metal supports in the construction of other structures - pergolas, dividing fences, lattices for vines, arches, etc. (photo 3-4). Conclusion. Following my example, gardeners and villagers will be able to build economical fences and barriers that will last decades without repairs. And if, when building such fences, planed boards treated with an antiseptic or stain are used, then you can create durable beautiful fences that will delight both the builders themselves and their descendants!
Fence drawing. 1. Strength element 2. Rack 3. Waterproofing 4. Support base 5. Wooden plug 6. Nails 150×5 (2 pcs.) 7. Run
© Author: Vladimir Vasilyevich LOKTIN, Yekaterinburg
From the editor. By the way, any fence can be decorated with live and artificial flowers, ornaments, metal and ceramic products, etc. There's a lot of room for creativity here! I would like to receive more letters on this topic, because the fence of the site is an important element of country aesthetics.
Reference by topic: Do-it-yourself "forged" fence - on slate or metal profile
CHEAP FENCE IN THE COTTAGE WITH YOUR HANDS - VIDEO
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Do-it-yourself fly agarics and concrete pots
- A hedge with his own hands - plants, shaping, planting, pruning and care (PHOTOS + VIDEO)
- Dacha do it yourself - a collection of useful people tips 11
- Drainage of a site with a high level of groundwater by one's own hands
- A garden for organic farming - my advice and feedback
- DIY film snail seedlings - a simple and effective way
- Growing pepper in a warm bed with a cover made of fabric and non-woven fabric (Khakassia)
- Do-it-yourself floating flower garden - what to make and what to plant
- Do-it-yourself well in the country house step by step - according to signs
- Tools to facilitate the work in the garden, in the country
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!