APPLE-COLUMN: BASIC RULES
Columnar apple trees, thanks to a set of their unique properties and amazing decorative effect, successfully fit into private gardens. Plants will not cause any particular difficulties to the summer resident, but there are nuances that need to be taken into account when caring for a crop. We talked in more detail on this topic with the candidate of agricultural sciences Tamara GRUSHEVA.
Tamara Petrovna, on the Internet, apple-columns are painted as a real find for our small gardens. Maybe it's time to abandon the usual apple tree in the country in favor of a columnar one?
- In no case! It is better to find additional space for trees of several varieties in the form of a column. You will not regret it: the plants look amazing both during flowering and during fruiting. I advise you to plant a hedge from them - and you will get an unusual picture of apples on a green wall.
Perhaps I will advise parents to buy one seedling...
- "Columns" should be at least 5 pieces of different varieties. Only in this case you will appreciate their advantages. One columnar apple tree gives 5-6 kg of crop in the first years, then up to 10 kg. While from an ordinary apple tree on a semi-dwarf rootstock, from 18 to 30 kg are harvested. But the "trick" is that in the area necessary for the growth of two ordinary apple trees, you can plant up to ten "columns"! Planting pattern: after 50-60 cm in a row with row spacing 1 m wide. So calculate what harvest awaits you ...
Is there any better time to plant columns?
Planted both in spring and autumn. Planting pits are prepared in the same way as for ordinary apple trees. Their size should be sufficient so that the roots can freely fit in them. Organics can be added to the pit (separate it from the roots with a layer of soil) or superphosphate (50-100 g) and potash fertilizers (50-80 g).
The grafting site must be above the ground.
It is much more important to choose good planting material - a one-year-old seedling is better, without leaves, without damage and signs of disease, with a fibrous root system. The rootstock on which the columnar apple tree is grafted must be dwarf or super-dwarf (for example, 54-118, M-9, V-9, PB-4, 57-146). It has a huge impact on the strength of growth, precocity, winter hardiness, fruiting regularity.
There is an opinion that apple-columns do not need to be cut ...
- Without pruning, the crown grows, the crop falls, the fruits become smaller. And most importantly, the “column” itself is lost, in fact, for the sake of which we grow this plant. Therefore, individual strongly growing branches need to be pinched - break off their top so that the shoots are no more than 12 cm. The work is carried out 2-3 times in June-July. Missed deadlines? Then in March next year, cut off such shoots, leaving only two buds on them. It is better to reduce the crown of the tree (up to 2-2,5 m) not earlier than 5 years after planting.
Otherwise, care is the same as for ordinary apple trees. Pay special attention to watering: the fibrous root system of plants lies in shallow soil layers, therefore it is very demanding on moisture. In the absence of rain, trees will need to be watered regularly.
How long do apple-columns live?
- Trees begin to bear fruit from the 2nd year after planting. Their most productive age is 15 years. But I think by then you yourself will want to update the assortment.
VARIETIES OF COLUMN-SHAPED APPLE TREES WITH A HIGH YIELD: CURRENCY. PRESIDENT, OSTANKINO, MOSCOW NECKLACE, TRIUMPH, MEDOC. CHERVONETS.
Reference by topic: Growing columnar apple trees - planting and care. Professional Tips
HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT APPLE TREE - VIDEO
© Author: Recorded by Victoria GULKO. Author's photo
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Choosing an apple variety for Central Russia - photo, name and description
- Small-fruited apple trees “Chinese” - photos and varieties, planting and care
- Apple trees and apples: cultivation in the Vladimir region
- Belarusian apple varieties - photo, description and name
- The earliest apples
- Intensive type garden - what is it and how to grow it!
- Belarusian varieties of apples (winter) - description and photo
- What is seed stratification - how to make stratification of apple seeds yourself
- How to grow an apple orchard in a "difficult" area
- Intensive apple trees - varieties
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!