Which vegetables are good potato neighbors and which are bad?
POTATOES - COMPATIBILITY AND NEIGHBORHOOD: WHAT YOU CAN AND WITH WHAT YOU CANNOT
Is it possible to plant watermelon, cucumber, melon, tomato, beetroot, late cabbage and peas next to potatoes? What fertilizers should be applied in the spring for vegetables?
Nikolai Podolskikh, Altai kr.
Answered by Artem Gushcha, agronomist
Potatoes are compatible with vegetable crops of the legume family (peas, beans, beans), cabbage (all types of cabbage, radish, daikon, turnip, turnip, radish), pumpkin (watermelon, melon, cucumber, pumpkin, zucchini), as well as with carrots , beets, parsnips, root and leaf parsley, all kinds of celery.
Incompatible with tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and other crops of the nightshade family, as well as sunflowers, as they are affected by the same diseases and pests as potatoes.
However, in practice it is undesirable to place ridges with pumpkin plants (except for pumpkin of late varieties) near potatoes. During the growing season, it is repeatedly treated with chemicals against pests and diseases. And no matter how we shelter the neighbors, drops of drugs still fall on them.
Pumpkin can be planted nearby, but during growth, the stems should be directed away from the rows of potatoes so that they do not interfere with loosening the soil and hilling the plants.
Peas and other legumes go well with potatoes. They can be grown side by side to produce mature grain. But if vegetable peas are grown for green peas, asparagus beans for the use of green products, they are placed away from potatoes due to the latter being treated with chemicals.
Root crops for winter storage can be planted next to potatoes. But if these crops are grown for beam production, then it is undesirable.
Well compatible with planting potatoes, planting garlic and onions on a turnip.
As for mineral fertilizers, complex fertilizers containing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, enriched with microelements are added to the pre-sowing tillage in the spring.
It is possible to apply single fertilizers when preparing the soil. From nitrogen - ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, urea. From phosphorus - double superphosphate. From potash potassium sulfate.
Potash mineral fertilizers (potassium chloride, sylvinite, potassium salt and others containing chlorine) should preferably be applied immediately after the snow melts, so that chlorine can be washed out of the arable horizon by precipitation into the lower soil horizons.
See also: Vegetables in the flower beds - the compatibility of flowers and vegetables!
VEGETABLE CROP ROTATION RULES - NOTE VIDEO
ORDER QUALITY AND CHEAP SEEDS AND OTHER PRODUCTS FOR HOME AND COTTAGE. PRICES ARE BOTTLE. CHECKED! JUST LOOK FOR YOURSELF AND BE AMAZED. THERE ARE REVIEWS. GO >>>
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Varieties of potatoes, which ones and how to choose? Characteristics and description of suitability for cultivation in different regions of Russia.
- Potatoes under the straw - how to plant and how to care for
- Potato cultivation in the Chelyabinsk region - planting and varieties
- Potatoes under the straw: 6 additions to this method of growing potatoes
- Planting potatoes - cut or not cut the tubers?
- What is the most delicious potato? Sort Overview and Care
- Five rules for growing potatoes and three potatoes per season
- Growing potatoes in the Northwest in paired rows - my advice and feedback
- Overview of potato varieties for the year - my REVIEWS
- Preservation of the yield of the potato variety you like - so that it does not degenerate
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!