WHAT CARE DO TOMATOES NEED TO BE DELICIOUS
No matter how hard I try, I can't grow sweet tomatoes in the greenhouse.
For some reason, they turn out to be sour, and the taste of salads made from such fruits leaves much to be desired. Maybe it's because I grow Fi hybrids? Help me to understand.
Eduard Mikhailovich PEREVERZEV, Vladimir region, Sudogda
Despite the success of breeders, the fruits of tomato varieties are still much sweeter than hybrids. I will name a few leaders of tomatoes in terms of sugar content.
VARIETIES OF SWEET TOMATOES
- Mystery. Ultra-early determinant variety of universal purpose. The fruits are round, with an average weight of 100 g. Rarely exposed to diseases.
- Crimson Giant. Determinate lettuce variety of early ripening. The fruits are pink, slightly flattened, with an average weight of 700 g. The variety is well protected from various diseases, rarely affected by late blight.
- Sugar Giant. Early ripe indeterminate variety of universal purpose. The fruits are plum-shaped, with an average weight of 500 g. Resistant to late blight.
- The Tsar Bell. Semi-determinant lettuce mid-season variety. The fruits are round, slightly elongated, with an average weight of 650 g. Resistant to late blight, fusarium, verticillium wilt.
- Honey salute. Indeterminate late lettuce variety. The fruits are round-ribbed, with red and yellow stripes, with an average weight of 400 g. Disease resistant.
- Tomatoes Rose honey, Koenigsberg golden, Velmozha, Honey drop, Roma, Appetizing, Orange pear, Tea rose also have increased sugar content. Carbon, Staroselsky.
FEEDING TO MAKE TOMATOES SWEET
The second secret of sugar content is in competent top dressing. It is known that nitrogen fertilizers spoil the taste of fruits, the introduction of which must be stopped with the start of pouring tomatoes. But potassium, on the contrary, makes them sweeter, and even accelerates ripening. At this time, it is useful to feed the tomatoes with an infusion of wood ash: pour 1 kg of raw material into 10 liters of water, let stand for a week. It is desirable to provide plants with such nutrition every two weeks.
You can also apply ready-made fertilizer - diammophoska. The solution is prepared at the rate of 1 matchbox per 10 liters of water.
To a very large extent, the sugar content of tomatoes depends on the light. In this regard, tomatoes grown in the open field benefit greatly. But, unfortunately, this method of cultivation is not possible everywhere: “free” plants in the middle lane with alternating clear and cloudy days are very susceptible to phytophthora. Therefore, we have to drive them into greenhouses. But even here it is possible to increase the intensity of sunlight due to the location of this structure: when oriented from east to west, the illumination will be the highest. Crowding should also be avoided.
Do not get carried away with watering, from which the fruits become watery. And vice versa: if, with the onset of ripening, irrigation is completely stopped, the tomatoes will be tastier, and even not burst.
Reference by topic: 10 the most delicious and simultaneously beautiful varieties of tomatoes
MAKE TOMATOES BE SWEET - VIDEO
© Author: Vladimir Iosifovich NEKRASHEVICH and agronomist Nikita Yurievich ZHELANKIN, St. Petersburg
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- The use of white clover
- Growing cucumbers - is it better in spreading or on a trellis?
- "New Year" plants that can replace the Christmas tree
- Capers prickly - photo and description
- How to raise feijoa at home
- Growing vegetables in straw bales - expert reviews
- Why the seeds do not germinate: 7 main reasons
- Naranjilla leaves are curling up - what to do?
- Brown spots on tomatoes - how to fight?
- Emergency planting in summer
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!