Tomatoes: how to keep fresh longer?
HOW TO KEEP TOMATOES FRESH AS LONGER AS POSSIBLE
I would like to know how to properly store fresh tomatoes taken at the end of the growing season.
Lyubov Vorobieva, Ryazan region
For bookmarking for a long period of storage, healthy, thick-walled, multi-celled and fleshy fruits of mid-ripening and medium-late varieties of milky ripeness, which have a whitish-green color, and green, fully formed, are best suited. It is undesirable to send the fruits of the last collections for long-term storage (just before frost or during a sharp cold snap), since they are stored much worse than those collected in good weather.
Tomatoes are removed, sorted by size and varieties, put in small boxes in 2-3 layers, lined with clean paper, dry moss, sawdust, and transferred to a dark room, where the temperature is maintained at 10 ... 12 ° C and air humidity 80-90%.
At higher air humidity, the fruits become moldy, and at lower humidity, they wither and wrinkle. The boxes are covered with plastic wrap.
Under these conditions, tomatoes can be stored for at least three months, depending on the variety. As necessary, the boxes are brought into a warm room (20 ... 25 ° C) so that the fruits ripen more quickly. At a lower temperature (18…19°С), pink tomatoes ripen in 6 days, brown ones in 10-12 days, and dairy ones in 15-18 days.
Keep in mind that tomatoes stored in the light ripen faster and acquire a more intense color, while those stored in the dark are slower, but their color is more uniform.
Ripe tomatoes, colored in a color characteristic of a certain variety, can be stored for no more than a month at a temperature of 2 ° C. And brown - at a temperature of 4 ... 6 ° C - up to 3 months.
Reference by topic: Storage of tomatoes from A to Z - varieties that are well stored and technology
© Author: Nikolai Rogovtsov, agronomist
ORDER QUALITY AND CHEAP SEEDS AND OTHER PRODUCTS FOR HOME AND COTTAGE. PRICES ARE BOTTLE. CHECKED! JUST LOOK FOR YOURSELF AND BE AMAZED. THERE ARE REVIEWS. GO >>>
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Javanese radish (photo) cultivation and care, plant reviews
- If it is actually a “lily tree” or is it a scam?
- Do potatoes have narrow and long leaves - is it a disease or not? Reasons and remedies
- Transplanting plants from the garden to home conditions before winter
- How can you use the apple carrion?
- Growing tangerine at home - planting and care, tips varietal reviews
- Preparing flocks for winter - pruning and covering
- Do I need to insulate and whitewash trees in winter?
- Garlic spring or winter - differences?
- Expired Medicines: Does It Use in the Garden?
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!