The longest stored tomato varieties - name and reviews
WHICH TOMATOES LAY THE LONGEST?
In October we still have our own tomatoes. The taste is so-so, not like summer. Although, perhaps we find fault, because we ate them heartily. But in December we begin to look at the store with interest. It would be nice, of course, to grow "long-playing" varieties ourselves.
Are there any?
There is! Moreover, they were bred for a long time, only gardeners know little about them. Growing such varieties, you can eat your tomatoes until January and even until March. A dozen or two plants for a family will be enough.
Varieties of "long-playing" tomatoes can be divided into 1 two groups.
1. The first group - with delayed ripening and keeping quality, due to the fact that tomatoes contain selectively modified genes (ripening inhibitors). Simply put, the fruits ripen extremely slowly, usually already plucked from the bush. This allows you to increase storage up to 3-6 months.
Harvested green, some fruits may lie until next year's harvest. True, they will not taste very good.
2. The second group is for long-term storage. Good preservation of fruits is ensured by thick skin and dense pulp of fruits.
These are long-term and transportable varieties that retain the commercial qualities of fruits for a long time. My favorites among this group are varieties with plum-like fruits. They are stored better, and the taste of even ripened fruits is an order of magnitude higher than that of the first group.
Usually, fruits of maturing varieties, harvested before autumn frosts in a green form, but formed in size, ripen and do not deteriorate even under room conditions for 2-3 months. You just need to look at them, removing ripe fruits so that the rest ripen more slowly.
Sowing - 1-2 months later
Seeds of varieties intended for long-term storage and ripening of fruits should be sown 1-2 months later than usual in order to massively remove them immature. Ripe ones won't last long!
For example, in the Rostov region, I sowed tomato varieties for storage only at the beginning of May, because during the traditional sowing period (in the second half of March or early April), only a few fruits survived until winter.
See also: Storage of tomatoes from A to Z - varieties that are well stored and technology
Better eaten fresh
Long-term and long-ripening tomatoes, of course, can be preserved, but it is better not to do this. The taste in the jar will be mediocre. But the winter salad from them turns out tastier than from expensive store-bought tomatoes.
And yet you should not store them for more than three months - the taste worsens every month. □
By the way, the Giraffe variety also belongs to the long-term ones. We were treated a couple of times in December, but the taste, to put it mildly, was not impressive. Toli climate did not fit, or soil, or care. Therefore, you need to look for a variety that will suit your taste.
VARIETIES OF TOMATOES TO CHOICE BY STORAGE
- Masterpiece of Rudas. The fruits are red, weighing 250-500 g.
- Long-lasting. The fruits are light yellow, weighing up to 120-130 g.
- Long Keeper. The fruits are whitish-orange, weighing 150-200 g.
- New Year. The fruits are yellow, weighing up to 120 g.
- De Barao. Widely known grade, yellow fruits are best stored.
- Fairy F1. The fruits are elongated, red, weighing 60-150 g.
- Italian square. The fruits are ribbed, square on the cut, 7-10 cm long, weighing 70-120 g.
- peppery. The fruits are elongated, like hot peppers, weighing 70-150 g.
- Pepper striped. Elongated striped cream weighing 70-150 g.
- Pepper yellow. Fruits are lemon-yellow, elongated, weighing 70-150 g.
- Pepper black. The fruits are maroon, pepper-shaped, weighing 70-200 g.
- Auria. Fruits are 10-15 cm long, weighing up to 150 g.
- San Marzano. Long-fruited fruits weighing up to 120 g.
- Crown Prince. Plum-shaped fruits with a nose, collected in brushes of 15-20 pieces, weighing 60-70 g.
- Aladdin's lamp. Orange "pears" weighing 150-300 g.
See also: Tomatoes: how to keep fresh longer?
BEST TOMATO VARIETIES FOR STORAGE - VIDEO
© Author: Alexander Donetsk, Shakhty, Rostov region.
ORDER QUALITY AND CHEAP SEEDS AND OTHER PRODUCTS FOR HOME AND COTTAGE. PRICES ARE BOTTLE. CHECKED! JUST LOOK FOR YOURSELF AND BE AMAZED. THERE ARE REVIEWS. GO >>>
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Multistage tomatoes are the secrets of forming
- A selection of reliable varieties for the north and south - name and description
- Growing tomatoes on warm beds. Tomato Trees
- Tomatoes by May
- Varieties of large tomatoes - name + description, planting and care
- The maximum yield of tomatoes - tips, reviews and various tricks
- Varieties of tomatoes that you will like (high, beef, giants): photo + name + description
- Growing tomatoes in the Leningrad region - tips and experience
- Growing soil tomatoes in the Tula region - planting and care
- Tomato is a "bullish heart" - I grow only these tomatoes!
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!