There are many different ways to prepare tomato seeds for sowing.
Each grower, as a rule, has his own, proven and convenient for him. In this case, it is important not to overdo it. It is better to use only one, many different procedures, on the contrary, can only reduce the germination of seeds.
When preparing high-quality seeds, you can limit yourself in two ways:
1) by soaking them in warm snow water (tomato seeds are stored mostly at high temperatures and low humidity, so they often do not germinate for a long time due to being very dry);
2) exposure to contrasting temperatures. The seeds, first soaked in warm melt water, are kept for a day (12-18 hours, it is no longer possible, they can suffocate) at room temperature, and at night they send the bags with them to the refrigerator, where it is only 3 ° C. This is repeated for 5-7 days. It is necessary to ensure that the seeds remain moist all this time.
The seeds that have been prepared are sown in small containers filled with moist, poor, light seedling soil to a depth of 1-1,5 cm (their shallow embedding leads to the removal of seed caps by leaves, which retards the growth and development of seedlings), tighten with a film to create a greenhouse effect and poison in the warmest place in the apartment. Small clear plastic containers are well suited for sowing.
For each variety, a separate one is allocated. Containers are opened daily for ventilation and monitoring of humidity. The optimum temperature for seed germination is 24-25°C.
As soon as the first seedlings appear, the shelter is removed and the containers are rearranged closer to the sun.
And then - no tenderness! The temperature is maintained during the day at 19-20 ° C, at night - a couple of degrees lower. After 3-4 days, when the seedlings get stronger, it is recommended to reduce the temperature during the day to 18-19°C, and at night - to 17-18°C.
To achieve this in apartment conditions, you can keep the seedlings on the brightest window sill during the day, and at night put it in the kitchen on the floor and open the window.
Even a short-term decrease in the temperature of the substrate below 16°C increases the likelihood of damage to the tomato by root rot and obtaining seedlings with a thin tip.
Seedlings are planted after they have two true leaves, during this period they are no longer so fragile. You can do this later, the main thing is to have time before the seedlings begin to compete with each other for light. Separate each with a lump of soil and transfer it to a separate cup (plastic, transparent, 0,2 l are practical), into which a little soil has already been poured. The seedling is buried a little deeper than it grew in the sowing container. But in such a way that after each watering it is possible to sprinkle the seedling mixture several times by at least 1 cm, until the seedling needs to be transferred to a larger glass or to a garden bed. Plants are abundantly sprayed and shaded for 2-3 days.
PREPARATION OF TOMATO SEEDS FOR SOWING - VIDEO
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Yellow tomatoes - the most delicious varieties: name and description
- Our best varieties of tomatoes - feedback on the results of the year: what to advise to grow
- Some varieties of tomatoes and the fineness of their germination in the home.
- Cultivation of tomatoes in cylinders (in "two floors"): reviews
- Growing tomatoes on warm beds. Tomato Trees
- Recommended varieties of tomatoes for the Moscow region - my review and reviews about each
- 5 main rules for growing tomato seedlings
- Ampelnye tomatoes (photo) - cultivation and varieties
- Growing tomatoes in the Irkutsk region - my tips for planting and care
- Review of the best tomato varieties - professional reviews
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!