ESTABLISHING A NEW STRAWBERRY PLANTATION
In August, it's time to lay new beds with garden strawberries (in a simple way - strawberries). In order to get rich harvests from the berry plantation in the future, our experts have compiled a detailed step-by-step plan for you.
STEP 1: SEEDLING
Buy strawberry seedlings only in trusted places: sellers in spontaneous markets often deceive gardeners and offer planting material of dubious quality. In order not to make a mistake with the choice, remember the signs of healthy seedlings:
- horn diameter - not less than 10 mm;
- the length of the roots of seedlings with an open root system is at least 5 cm;
- for seedlings in cups or cassettes, the roots should occupy the entire volume of the container in which they are located.
IMPORTANT! PALE WRITTEN LEAVES WITH DOTS OR SPOTES SIGNAL THAT THE STRAWBERRY IS INFECTED BY DISEASES OR PESTS.
When choosing a variety, focus on the size of the berries and disease resistance. Also keep in mind that strawberries are of ordinary varieties (yields a crop once a year) and remontant (this one bears fruit several times per season).
STEP 2: CHOOSE A PLANTATION FOR STRAWBERRY
Strawberries prefer sunny areas with a slight slope (2-3 degrees) and fertile, light, moisture- and breathable soil. In places where groundwater is close to the surface, the berry plant will not please with a bountiful harvest. By the way, the berries will grow well in the beds that used to be occupied by parsley, dill, onion, garlic, lettuce, celery, radish, beets or 1 carrot. But after eggplant, cucumbers, peppers, cabbage and potatoes, it is better not to plant strawberries: the culture easily picks up the same diseases as the listed vegetables.
Two weeks before planting, prepare the beds: water the weeds, add 2-3 buckets of compost or rotted manure for digging, 40 g of double superphosphate and 20 g of wood ash per 1 sq.m.
STEP 3: LANDING
For each seedling, dig a hole measuring 25 x 25 cm. Fill in a mound of fertile soil and plant the plant. Do not bend the roots - gently straighten the tubercle. If the roots are too long, shorten them a little with sharp scissors.
When planting, pay special attention to the growing point (heart), from which new shoots and flower stalks will grow. It should be located directly above the soil. If you fill the heart with soil - you will not wait for the flowers and, accordingly, the harvest. But do not raise the growing point too much: strawberries will freeze in winter.
After planting, water the plantation abundantly with water and mulch with compost (a layer of 5-6 cm) or straw, hay, sawdust (10 cm). Further care for strawberries until late autumn consists only in timely watering (if there is no rain).
DOUBLE FIT IS A BAD OPTION
Some summer residents put two plants in one hole at once: they say, suddenly one does not take root, and if both survive, then the harvest will be twice as large. I don’t recommend doing this: with a double planting, thickening of the bushes is inevitable and, as a result, a decrease in nutrition for each root, chopping of berries. Also, dense beds are more likely to get sick and attacked by pests.
Reference by topic: Small strawberries - what are the reasons?
NEW STRAWBERRY PLANTATION - VIDEO
© Author: Maria MOROZOVA, agronomist, Smolensk
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Planting strawberries: master class and photo
- Growing strawberries in Siberia - the most common mistakes of gardeners - advice from Doctor of Agricultural Sciences
- Strawberry seedlings - sowing and care (Moscow region)
- Autumn planting of strawberries
- Strawberry varieties “Zephyr” - my reviews and tips on care (Udmurtia)
- White strawberries - varieties, planting and care
- Planting strawberries if you are in the country, in the garden only on weekends
- Growing strawberries, planting and care, reviews of varieties (Voronezh region)
- Wild strawberry: cultivation
- Strawberries from seed-planting, rearing and breeding
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!