SALADS ARE RED FROM THE COLD!
Due to their original appearance, red-leaf salads are very popular among gardeners.
They, unlike ordinary greens, have a richer chemical composition, balanced in iodine, potassium, magnesium, iron and vitamins, which has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, intestinal function, and blood circulation.
Among of red-leaf lettuces, the most famous variety is Lollo Rossa with heavily corrugated leaves.
However, not everyone knows that the quality of lettuce, the degree of corrugation and color intensity depend on weather conditions, and they are surprised when, instead of the promised colorful bouquet of intense red leaves, a lighter one grows.
The fact is that in hot weather, for the rapid growth of lettuce, you have to pay with its quality. Unfavorable weather conditions and low air temperature slow down the growth of the plant, but at the same time increase the redness of the leaves and improve its quality.
Therefore, those who appreciate decorativeness in red-leafed salads need to take into account these features and sow in such a way that the ripening period (approximately 7 weeks after sowing) does not fall on the hottest time of the year.
If the weather is cold in spring, this lettuce will grow like in the package picture. But the ideal time for the development of these varieties of lettuce is August, when during the day the air temperature is high enough for their intensive growth. And cool nights will give the leaves a full palette of colors of red-burgundy shades.
The most favorable temperature for the growth and development of plants is considered to be 10 ... 17 ° C.
Reference by topic: Types of lettuce - growing, planting and care from A to Z
Leaf red lettuce Oakleaf - reviews on video
© Author: Artem Gushcha, agronomist Photo by the author
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Growing arugula in Primorsky Krai - my advice
- Varieties of watermelons for long-term storage and care for them in the Voronezh region
- Plants pomitofel, nashi, apium (pluto) and romanesko
- Watermelons in Siberia - how to grow and what varieties I recommend
- Planting berries in the berry in autumn
- 3 options for wintering container plants in the garden
- Chayote (photo) - cultivation planting and care
- Melons in the open field - a selection of varieties of melons and watermelons, cultivation and care
- Kiparisovik (photo) - care at home and outdoors
- Sweet, sweet corn - growing for silage using a new technology
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!