CALENDULA FROM COLORADA? YES! BUT THERE IS ONE SECRET!
I heard from neighbors that calendula (marigold) helps drive away the Colorado potato beetle. No matter how many times I sowed these flowers: between rows in a continuous carpet, and between potato bushes, there was no result.
The beetles did not pay attention to the odorous plants. And only recently a friend told me that there is a secret, without knowing which you will not achieve results. On her advice, in mid-October she sowed marigold seeds, mixed half and half with marigolds, along the perimeter of the future potato beds. In the spring, by the time the first potato shoots appear, the flowers have already bloomed.
What's the result? I won’t say that there were no Colorado potato beetles at all, but there were definitely much fewer of them, especially at the edge of the site. Therefore, next year I organized several islands with fragrant flowers in the potato field. And when they faded, I mowed them down and put them in compost.
© Author: Olga KUDRYAVTSEVA, Chekhov
COMMENTS OF THE SPECIALIST
Many summer residents say that the aroma of calendula and marigolds repels the Colorado potato beetle.
However, I believe that the described method will not be enough for XNUMX% protection against pests.
Therefore, I recommend choosing one of the following options. Treat the tubers before planting with a systemic insecticide (Prestige) or from time to time treat the potatoes against pests with contact insecticides (Tabu, Tanrek). Dig trap jars between the rows of potatoes at a distance of 2-3 m from each other. Place potato slices in them, soaked for a day in a saturated urea solution (1 tbsp. fertilizer per 1 liter of water).
© Author: Elena ISAEVA, Agronomist
CALENDULA FROM PESTS - VIDEO
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Infusions and folk remedies for spraying from pests
- Fight against plant pests in the middle of summer (PHOTO + DESCRIPTION)
- Tomato-cladosporiosis or brown spotting - resistant varieties and control
- How to deal with lily fly (photo) and onion leaf beetle
- A simple and effective way to deal with aphids - expert reviews
- If the Meyer lemon growing at home is sick - greasy spots on the leaves
- Do-it-yourself natural infusions against pests - collection 5
- Currant anthracosis - how to fight: summer clerk's advice
- Recipes of decoctions and infusions against pests: table-memo
- Carrot pests and control
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!