SHOWER COVER – CALAMINTA – HOW TO GROW?
I bought a plant Calamintha nepeta variegata. The bush is compact, with green leaves with white stripes and specks, with a pleasant menthol smell. What does its Russian name sound like? Can it be eaten? And how to grow it correctly?
Olga Drozdova, Tver
— Calaminta catnip is a phytoncidal plant of the Lamiaceae family. We call it a douche, a smelly or a wedge-legged. Species specimens in nature bloom from early summer to September. They are considered medicinal.
Rђ RІRѕS, Calaminta variegata is a purely decorative perennial. And quite unpretentious.
To grow it successfully, you need well-drained soil and proper watering.
Showerweed comes from the Mediterranean, so choose a sunny planting location for it, although light shading is acceptable in the middle of the day. It is good if the bush is protected from the wind by buildings or bushes.
The plant thrives in loose soils, which help its branches take root when lodging. Soil acidity is needed ranging from slightly acidic to alkaline (pH 6,6-8,5). Over-watering of calaminta is unacceptable, especially in winter, as it leads to damping off. Use organic matter for fertilizing.
Add some compost and wood ash. By the end of the season, you can feed with potassium (according to the instructions) to increase winter hardiness.
FOR THE NOTICE
The plant self-sows. If you don’t need it, faded inflorescences: cut off before the seeds fall out - in October.
The shower cover is extremely rarely affected by pests. The only possible attack is powdery mildew. Preventive spraying with Fitosporin will help cope with it.
Do not cut the stems too short for the winter. Sprinkle the bush with dry leaf litter.
Reference by topic: 20 most beautiful autumn flowers - photo, name and description
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- How to prolong the flowering of petunias?
- Scented and pleasantly smelling plants for the garden and flower garden
- Nemofila Mencisa (photo) growing, planting and care
- Bulbous flowers and plants - from spring to late autumn
- Growing babiana in open ground and at home
- Fragrance-free haltonia or hyacinths - photo, planting and care
- Lakfiol (photos) planting and care
- How to grow a petunia that will flourish blossom
- Monarch plant - growing, varieties and application
- Flower agapanthus - tips for growing and caring. Photo and several beautiful varieties.
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!