PREPARING A BED FOR WINTER GARLIC AFTER THE STRAWBERRY
How to fertilize a bed for planting winter garlic after strawberries? When deoxidizing the soil, do you first need to apply a deoxidizer or fertilizer (we have cleared peatlands)? And after what period of time is one from the other?
Galina Shilova, Kirovo-Chepetsk
A bed vacated in August after garden strawberries is prepared for planting garlic like this. After removing the bushes, scatter one half-liter jar of fresh ash mixed with 1 teaspoon of citric acid onto 1 square meter of bed (it will enrich the soil with potassium).
If there is no ash, agro-chalk or dolomite flour is used to reduce acidity (400-500 g on slightly acidic soils with a pH of 4,4 to 5,3). Then scatter a layer of well-rotted organic matter (1-2 buckets per 1 sq.m.) and dig up the soil onto the bayonet of a shovel.
Immediately before planting garlic, you can additionally add superphosphate (20 g/sq.m.) into the furrows. And if you didn’t add ash, then add potassium chloride (15 g/sq.m).
Fertilizers are applied to the grooves so that they do not come into contact with the teeth. They can generally be scattered on top of an already planted bed and covered with a layer of mulch.
Typically, deoxidation is carried out in the fall, and mineral fertilizers are applied in the spring, since their application greatly disturbs the chemical balance of the soil.
Therefore, a certain amount of time must pass between deoxidation and sowing or planting and fertilizing.
It depends on the material used: lime is added only in the fall, and chalk and dolomite flour, having reduced the dose by half, can be added in the spring, half a month before the start of work. And it doesn’t have to be for digging, you can just scatter it on top of the soil.
Reference by topic: Growing garlic on non-digged soil - my reviews + review of varieties
© Author: Answered by Natalya Solonovich, scientist agronomist
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Three harvests of garlic a year - how?
- Growing garlic in the Moscow region - tips for planting and care
- Planting winter garlic - it's all about the holes
- 11 The rules of large garlic (North-West)
- Garlic bulbs - Exibishen onion seedlings (Kursk region)
- 5 best ways to preserve garlic - tips from THE GARDENERS
- Garlic-rocumball (photo) cultivation, planting and care (Krasnodar Territory)
- Growing some spring types of garlic
- Garlic cultivation - varieties and care in the Tver region
- Reproduction of the rocamball from A to Z - my advice and feedback on the methods
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!