Oval or cylindrical tomatoes with a neat elongated shape, similar to one another like twin brothers, are popularly called cream tomatoes. And if once their varieties were only with red fruits, today the palette has expanded significantly, and with it the taste.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF TOMATO CREAM
In fact, in the classification of tomatoes according to the shape of the fruit, there is no such name - cream. Vegetable growers combine under it a series of varieties with ellipsoid-shaped fruits, created for whole-fruit canning.
Several decades ago, cream ripened only towards the end of summer, ending the season for preparing canned vegetables. Today they are presented many varieties from very early to late, from compact low-growing bushes to vines. They can be grown both in open ground and in greenhouses.
The weight of the fruits usually ranges from 50 to 120 g. It is convenient to place them whole in jars. The rolls made from them are not only tasty, but also... Thanks to their evenness in shape, they are very attractive, which, you see, is also important. In recent years they have been added Giant cream and date cream - sweet crumbs the size of grapes.
In addition to their shape, plum tomatoes also share other characteristics: a dense, heat-resistant skin that does not burst when the tomatoes are poured with hot brine and can be easily removed if necessary. Thanks to their thick skin, they are less likely to be affected by anthracnose and produce a large yield of clean and smooth fruits suitable for canning. In addition, all thick-skinned varieties also differ in such an indicator as keeping quality. They don't spoil for weeks, even when stored at room temperature, giving us time to prepare for canning;
- high solids content and low water content. They have a small seed chamber with dense, fleshy walls;
- high yield, which depends only on the quality of plant care;
- fruit evenness. If the tomatoes on the bushes are all approximately the same size, they do not need to be sorted by distributing them into jars, but once in the marinade, they will be evenly saturated with it;
- fruits can be harvested at any stage of ripening, but the best results are obtained when using fully ripened ones. However, you should not mix tomatoes of different degrees of ripeness in one jar. Tomatoes harvested at the stage of technical ripeness can be stored for up to three months;
- friendly harvest return. Most low-growing varieties have it; their maturity occurs already on the 95-105th day after emergence. But for gardeners who prefer to preserve tomatoes no earlier than August and who have greenhouses, tall varieties are more suitable. The tassels on them are tied after 7-9 leaves, they ripen alternately, their total harvest is higher and they give it until October.
Cream has few disadvantages, but they do exist. The first is a little juiciness. Due to the dryish pulp, cream is not as tasty in salads as its heart-shaped relatives or beef tomatoes. For the same reason, plum tomatoes are not very suitable for making juices and sauces. The second drawback is the bland taste of some varieties. For example, the well-known Banana Legs have this when fresh, but when preserved, the taste of tomatoes becomes excellent.
Reference by topic: The longest stored tomato varieties - name and reviews
A striking example of giant cream is the Southern Tan variety (from the Siberian Garden). When grown in a greenhouse, the bushes grow up to 150-170 cm, in open ground - 110-120 cm. The variety is mid-season. The seedlings look frail. The bushes are compact and easy to form, as they produce few shoots. The leaves are slightly drooping, large, long, dark green in color, the crowns are thin.
Each bunch usually produces 3-4 tomatoes weighing 150-200 g. Moreover, they are tied along the entire length, despite the heat or other unfavorable circumstances, unlike more capricious beefs. The relatively low yield is compensated by the excellent sweet taste of the fruit. They are cylindrical in shape and, when ripe, acquire a beautiful orange color, adhere well to the bushes, and do not crack.
The taste is harmonious, with barely noticeable sourness. Most of the fruit is occupied by fleshy, juicy and slightly oily pulp of medium density, inside which 4 seed chambers are hidden. The seeds are small. And most importantly, tomatoes are great for pickling and canning, as well as for salads. They do not spread apart in brine, remain dense, and can be cut with a knife.
The place for growing must be sunny. In a greenhouse it is better to form two stems, in open ground - one. The variety is very similar to Golden Koenigsberg, which is understandable: they were bred by the same breeder. The fruits of the Southern tan are not so large and more elongated. The variety is relatively resistant to late blight; in a greenhouse without good ventilation it can suffer from blossom end rot.
CREAM DE BARAO
The homeland of the De Barao tomato is Brazil. Despite this, the variety can be grown in any region. In terms of ripening, it is classified as medium-late. It takes 115-125 days for the harvest to ripen. Therefore, in the middle zone and areas with more severe conditions, it is recommended to grow it in a greenhouse.
The height of the main stem without pinching the growing point can reach 3 m. And in open ground, and in a greenhouse, plants need to be formed (it’s best to form one stem) and tie it up, otherwise the bush will turn out to be simply huge, and you may not get any fruit. The leaves are large. The first inflorescence is formed after 9-11 leaves, the subsequent ones - after 3 leaves. The tomatoes are small, ovoid, weighing 35-50 g. There are 5-8 fruits in a cluster. Their size remains almost the same on all fruit clusters, even on the uppermost ones. The variety is slightly affected by late blight and is not susceptible to blossom end rot.
Based on the classic red-fruited variant, several colored varieties were developed: pink, yellow, orange, gold, black, royal, tiger, giant. I like black best. Its ripe fruits acquire an original color - dark purple-brownish with a brownish-reddish tint. The taste is harmonious, differing from other varieties by the almost complete absence of sourness. And canned in red tomato juice, and even with garlic, it’s a real delicacy!
TOMATO SPRUT CREAM
Octopus cream F1 (from the company "SeDeK") is a mid-early hybrid variety. The bush is tall and requires gartering, more than once throughout the season, and obligatory pinching. You can form a bush into 2-3 stems at once or with a “palm”: 2 stems up to the trellis, and then stop removing the stepsons, just pinch out the tops above the flowering clusters. But he thanks for all his care efforts with a generous harvest.
The fruits are plum-shaped, dense, bright red at maturity, weighing 30-40 g, collected in beautiful clusters of 8-10 pieces. They ripen on the branches almost simultaneously and do not crack. Their bushes are knitted without interruption from the end of June until frost, practically without being affected by diseases. Tomatoes are delicious in fresh salads, canned, in hot sandwiches, and dried with herbs in oil. They make excellent sauces and ketchups - thick, brightly colored, sweetish without adding sugar.
CREAM TOMATOES - REVIEWS OF VARIETIES ON VIDEO
© Author: Tatyana Mironchik, agronomist-seed grower Photo by the author and Natalya Solonovich
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Overview of varieties of early and ultra-early tomato varieties - my reviews
- How to grow tomatoes by sowing under crops - varieties, planting and care
- Growing tomatoes in the Leningrad region - tips and experience
- Gnome tomatoes (dwarf) my reviews on growing in the Nizhny Novgorod region
- Tomato varieties Iranian Miracle, Cornabel, Vikulya, etc. - my reviews of the harvest
- Green tomatoes (green-fruited) - varieties, photos, name and description
- Growing tomatoes in the Khabarovsk Territory - planting and care, my secrets
- Varieties of yellow tomatoes (tomatoes)
- Growing tomatoes in a greenhouse in Siberia - my tips
- Growing tomatoes in the Altai
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!