CARE OF FIGS AT HOME
Figs can be successfully grown in an apartment or office. However, it is not always possible to get a harvest from trees brought from the south or accidentally bought at the market. It is important to choose the right variety. Anton ALEKHNA, a researcher at the Central Botanical Garden of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, spoke about which varieties of figs not only feel great “in captivity”, but also bear fruit, as well as about the intricacies of caring for the plant.
In indoor conditions, figs reach a height of 1 - 1 m and begin to bear fruit from 5-2 years of age. Rooting occurs better when cuttings are taken in spring. At a later date, they take root within two to three months. Figs love bright, well-ventilated rooms. In summer, you can take it out to the balcony and keep it there until the first frost sets in. In summer, the tree should be watered abundantly and the entire plant should be frequently sprayed with water, and in winter, watering should be moderate and sparse with water at room temperature.
Anton Ivanovich, what is so special about figs? What varieties are suitable for home growing?
- The fig tree, fig tree, wineberry (this is also the name of this ancient fruit plant) gives us tender, very tasty and nutritious berries. Ripe fruits contain vitamins C, A, group B, and many salts of calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus. Since ancient times, figs have been widely used in folk medicine. Due to the presence of the enzyme phytin, its fruits are recommended to be eaten for diseases of the cardiovascular system, for the development of bone tissue and stimulation of hematopoiesis. The Uzbek Yellow variety gives a good harvest in indoor conditions. Sochi No. 7, Uzbek blue, Kadota.
Reference by topic: Growing figs in the open field - my tips and secrets (Belgorod)
How to propagate homemade figs?
— Of all the existing methods of propagation (seeds, layering, cuttings) indoors, the best method is cuttings. With its help, you can get a good harvest already in the second year of the plant’s life. When propagated by seeds, fruiting occurs only in the fifth year. Propagation by layering is suitable for a tree growing in a spacious tub where branches can be bent to the ground.
Cuttings can be used either green or lignified. The latter take root faster and better. Cuttings 20 cm long with 3-4 buds are cut early in the morning. Then they are placed in clean water for 30 minutes to remove the white thick juice. For better root formation, make 2-3 longitudinal cuts on the bark. The cuttings are planted to a depth of 5 cm in clay pots with river sand, watered abundantly, covered with plastic wrap and placed in a warm, shaded place. If the correct regime is observed (temperature - +22+24 degrees, air humidity - 80-90%), the cuttings take root within three weeks.
How often should figs be replanted? How to take care of the external attractiveness of a tree?
— A rooted fig seedling is initially planted in a 1 liter pot, and after 3-4 months it is transferred to a larger container. The soil is prepared from equal parts of turf soil, high peat and humus with the addition of 15% river sand. In the first three years, it is advisable to replant annually in a slightly larger container with the addition of new soil. From the age of four, figs are replanted every 4-5 years using the transshipment method, but annually the top layer of soil must be updated with a mixture of humus. To grow a beautiful compact plant, form a crown immediately after planting in a pot. For the first time, the apical bud is pinched after the appearance of the 7th leaf. From the emerging shoots, 3-4 branches are left, from which a crown is formed on a bole. On the left shoots, as they grow, they continue to form a crown, pinching off strongly growing branches.
When and how to feed a fig plant growing at home?
— Figs are very responsive to mineral fertilizers, which must be applied along with watering every twenty days. In October-November, figs, like other subtropical deciduous plants, shed their leaves. At this time, it should be placed in a cool place, reduce watering and stop feeding. At the end of December, when the tree begins to grow again, it is necessary to feed it with a complex fertilizer with a predominance of nitrogen.
Interviewed by Irina BAREIKO
Reference by topic: Figs in the open field in cold regions - cultivation technology
HOME FIGS - VIDEO
Below other entries on the topic "Dacha and garden - with their own hands"
- Date palm from the stone - cultivation and care, tips and reviews
- Dicenter (photo) types, planting and care in the open ground
- Flax - growing at home
- Adenium (photo) - growing at home
- Crassula (photo) planting and care at home
- Planting cacti - PROFESSIONAL tips (+ schemes)
- Pelargonium - care, different varieties and types of these flowers (photo)
- Plants that do not require pruning in room conditions
- Family of plants - plants
- Graptopetalum (photo) - planting and care
Subscribe to updates in our groups and share.
Let's be friends!